HanDBase on HTC HD2

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

HanDBase on HTC HD2

Postby Louis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:02 pm

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask:

I haven't seen a lot of discussion about this combination: is there any problem running HanDBase on a HTC HD2?
I have to buy a new organizer/phone and consider this a good candidate,
but the usability of HanDBase is an essential argument for me.

Greetings,
Louis
Louis

Re: HanDBase on HTC HD2

Postby dhaupert » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi there,

I moved this to the right location- hope you don't mind!

I believe the HD2 does have a few issues when using HanDBase. In particular HTC redid the date/calendar popup and made things incompatible. It can still work using forms instead of the Edit record screen I believe. But it's an issue I'm looking into as I'm hoping HTC will provide a fix or some tips to developers for a workaround!
dhaupert

Postby wawo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi, Dave,

I'm very glad, not to be the only one with this problem. It's indeed an very annoying bug and makes it very difficult or impossible, to handle databases with date-fields on the htc hd2.
I get the htc date picker also in forms. Is there any possibility, to change the datepicker in Forms? I can't build an text/numeric entry and assume the values from the datefield, also this would one possibility in my mind, to enter the value by the keyboard.
Any suggestions for an uncomplicated workaround?

Thank You in advance,
Roland
wawo

Postby Louis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:36 am

Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply. I still have to get used to the new forum. It did have advantages to see *all* the posts in your mail, like in the old days...

One of my concerns re the HD2 was the size of the controls, given that one has to work with the fingers.
How is this being handled?
(Don't know if you will get to answer this fast enough, as I have to order today or tomorrow...)

Keep up the great work, and many thanks for being always so close to your users!

Best wishes, Louis
Louis

Postby dhaupert » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:18 pm

thanks for your reply. I still have to get used to the new forum. It did have advantages to see *all* the posts in your mail, like in the old days...

You can choose that option with this group- there is a digest version that can be emailed to you with all the posts of the day. Check in this topic for info on this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22

One of my concerns re the HD2 was the size of the controls, given that one has to work with the fingers.
How is this being handled?
(Don't know if you will get to answer this fast enough, as I have to order today or tomorrow...)

There was no change to our application for this, so it's really how the OS handles the situation. Another thread here talked about how it worked fine but would be nice if the controls were made bigger in some cases. Of course, when you make forms you control the size of things, so you have control there to optimize it yourself! I am expecting next week we'll hear about the first glimpses of Windows Mobile 7 and will find out if there is something OS specific changing with regards to finger friendliness, in which case I'll certainly have some work to do if so!

Keep up the great work, and many thanks for being always so close to your users!

Thanks!
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:30 pm

wawo wrote:Hi, Dave,

I'm very glad, not to be the only one with this problem. It's indeed an very annoying bug and makes it very difficult or impossible, to handle databases with date-fields on the htc hd2.
I get the htc date picker also in forms. Is there any possibility, to change the datepicker in Forms? I can't build an text/numeric entry and assume the values from the datefield, also this would one possibility in my mind, to enter the value by the keyboard.
Any suggestions for an uncomplicated workaround?

Roland

Actually I think I had it mixed up- on the Edit Record screen is where there is a workaround- you can select the day month year without picking the calendar (though the year you have to press the arrow keys on the popup keyboard).

I'm hoping to hear back from HTC some time with some type of feedback or assistance. I'll certainly apply whatever changes I can. In the interim, I did some searching for workarounds a few weeks back and read this:

If you delete this key in the registry:
HKey Local Machin\System\GWE\Commctrl\CustomDateTimeCtrl

and restart your device, it will use the default date/time control. If you need a registry editor:
http://freewareppc.com/utilities/phmreg ... itor.shtml

Let me know if you try this- I never heard back from a customer who I last helped with this issue!
dhaupert

Postby wawo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:46 am

dhaupert wrote:
Actually I think I had it mixed up- on the Edit Record screen is where there is a workaround- you can select the day month year without picking the calendar (though the year you have to press the arrow keys on the popup keyboard).

I'm hoping to hear back from HTC some time with some type of feedback or assistance. I'll certainly apply whatever changes I can. In the interim, I did some searching for workarounds a few weeks back and read this:

If you delete this key in the registry:

and restart your device, it will use the default date/time control. If you need a registry editor:
http://freewareppc.com/utilities/phmreg ... itor.shtml

Let me know if you try this- I never heard back from a customer who I last helped with this issue!

Hello,

unfortunately my hd2 has just gone for repair. When it will be back next week, I'll try it and tell You immediately, wether it will work or not.

The high resolution doesn't matter, when building Your own forms.

Thank You for Your effort,
Roland
wawo

Postby javier » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Dear Dave and pals,

deleting the reg entry

just did the trick! Now HandBase dates in forms can be edited in the HD2 with the old windows mobile-style calendar.
The fancy HD2 calendar is still working for the appointments, etc.

Great hint!

Javier
javier

Postby dhaupert » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:35 am

Javier,

Thanks so much for verifying this. I suspected it probably worked as anyone who asks never comes back with a response either way, which usually means it's working for them. But nice to know it actually does the trick!
dhaupert

Postby Ben » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:19 am

David, I also had this problem when I upgraded my TP2 to 6.5x and failing to think about looking here for a solution, I went back to 6.1. That device was subsequently replaced with another TP2 today with 6.5x and I installed HDB knowing I would have this problem, and of couse, I did. I wandered aimlessly looking for a solution here and smack in the face, the answer was found, the registry change made, and life is good again with 6.5x and HanDBase. Now we just wait impatiently for your Android release and that will make life fantastic.

Take care and Blessings to you and yours. Ben
Ben

Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional