Excess Memory Use

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Excess Memory Use

Postby Doug » Thu May 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Why does my memory available on my BlackBerry Tour 9630 decrease each time I sync with HanDBase? I've been using the HanDbase for several weeks now and had an opportunity to test what I've been observing in terms of memory loss (due to fragmentation or open files?) as my BackBerry underwent a system software upgrade that required reloading all third part apps.

After getting all third party apps functional except for re-sync'ing HanDBase beyond it's initially installed databases, I had 108.1MB device memory.
After first sync, device memory dropped to 88 MB (20 MB decrease).
After deleting the original DB's (only mine installed) and re-sync, 85.4 MB.
After another re-sync with no changes, 78.6 MB.
After altering one DB on the desktop, 70.5 MB.
After a hard reset (pulling the battery), 86.7 MB.
After a re-sync altering one DB on the desktop, 78.2 MB.
(HanDBase was "closed" instead of simply backing out to the desktop each time before checking memory.)

The total number of databases loaded are 7 and total size of all database pdb files is 846 kb (the largest file is 490 kb).

I do not have a grip on how the BlackBerry itself manages memory; however, HanDBase stands out as the greatest "fragmenter" of device memory.

I have noticed no other third party application continually consuming memory. Most notably, DocsToGo uses the same Xcel files that feed these seven databases in addition to numerous other files much larger and yet it also sync's many times faster than does HanDBase (10-15 minutes).
Doug

Re: Excess Memory Use

Postby dhaupert » Thu May 13, 2010 10:05 pm

That's a mystery I'm hoping to solve in the near future. Been looking into this for some time and finding that while the other apps you are using may not fragment memory, we're definitely not the only ones. There is a link in another posting for a tool that combats this problem and surely it wasn't written just for our app:

http://www.getjar.com/mobile/25203/memo ... y-booster/

I'm not sure when and if I'll be able to get the fix to this, but I am trying. My apologies for the issue itself- you're right that apps like DocsToGo are going to be faster. For one they had the help of RIM when writing it and I believe (though am not sure) that they were able to write native (ie, not Java code). I suspect this because they said they wouldn't write a WebOS docs to go until they got special cooperation with the manufacturer for doing some things that go beyond writing Javascript (in that case). Lastly, they are using the memory card for storage- when HandBase for BlackBerry was written the first memory card based BlackBerry didn't exist. How I wished we had waited as we could then have implemented using our native format which is far faster than the BlackBerry database native format. Unfortunately at this point it would require a complete rewrite of the program, something we're not prepared to do at this time.

Hope this sheds some light on the problem, but as I said, I hope to address soon!
dhaupert

Postby Doug » Thu May 13, 2010 10:44 pm

I certainly realize that the BlackBerry is not the best platform for this type of application. As you know, the small amount of device memory makes this even more important for the BlackBerrys. I came from a relatively old Palm Treo that handled these type of apps more efficiently.

Thanks for your fast response and happy hunting on the memory issue. Use of the SD card, particularly if performance could be enhanced, would be much appreciated.

While I'm on wishes, the function I miss most from the Palm is being able to apply two or more filters from the device itself rather than pre-building "views" from the desktop. I'm use to Xcel files that allow filtering and outlining to colapse large chunks of data into meaningful, smaller, and organized junks. Nothing I've found gives me this capability on the BlackBerry yet. Perhaps this should be a separate thread though.
Doug

Postby Doug » Thu May 13, 2010 10:56 pm

Dave, the link you provided did not pull up anything on the getjar.com site. What was the software called?

Thanks in advance.
Doug

Postby dhaupert » Thu May 13, 2010 11:13 pm

Hey Doug,

Sorry about that- didn't test the link when I copied from an older post. Did a google search for BlackBerry Memory booster. Apparently there are a lot of such apps out there. This one appears to be free: http://forum.eveek.com/applications/124 ... 1-0-a.html

Let me know if that works for you!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry