Adding records to a linked table/DB

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Adding records to a linked table/DB

Postby Frank_Black » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi, new to HanDBase, but I develop DBs in Access, etc. Gotta question on how to add records to a linked table or database.

The example is for a cemetery survey. I need a main "Monument" table/database, and then a separate "Names" table/database in order to be able to record multiple names for a single monument. Whereabouts should I be looking in the user manual?
Frank_Black

Re: Adding records to a linked table/DB

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi,

I'm always amazed by the breadth of application HanDBase is used for. This is the first time I've heard of it used for this, but it makes perfect sense!

In HanDBase, once you set up your link/linked pair, adding linked data is easy:

Open the master database/table (in this case monuments)
Open or create the monument record that is relevant.
Tap the link field, you'll be shown a list of all names belonging to that monument.
Tap the new button and a new names record will be added. When you save this record and then press back or home (depending on the platform you're using), it will return automatically to the monuments database record. In the future, tapping that link field should show your newly added name record and any others that are related.

If you need assistance with setting up a link linked field pair, I'd recommend reading or watching some of the tutorials on our support site:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/support

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby Frank_Black » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:06 pm

Ah, thanks. Of course, 10 minutes after I posted that, I figured it out. Which is the way it usually happens.

Now I am having difficulty with creating a form (trial version). I try to let it use the Wizard to create it but it always hangs.
Frank_Black

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Frank_Black wrote:Ah, thanks. Of course, 10 minutes after I posted that, I figured it out. Which is the way it usually happens.

Now I am having difficulty with creating a form (trial version). I try to let it use the Wizard to create it but it always hangs.

I have only heard of that happening when the form size specified is smaller than the size needed to create a single control. For example, if you have an image control which requires 100 pixels in height, but you only have a form that is 80 high, it can get stuck, and that's something we need to address.

Is it possible you can email me privately with the databases you have so far and I can try it on our end?
dhaupert

Postby Frank_Black » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:56 am

I just don't get it. I've made three databases on the desktop and none of them go over to the Palm.
Frank_Black

Return to HanDBase General Discussion