Linked fields not working

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Linked fields not working

Postby nmoens » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:47 pm

I am creating 2 databases that are linked together. Although I can get the linked field to work properly on the desktop, it does not work well on the BB9000.
When, in the parent database, I click on the link to open the linked database, the field that is linked does not show the appropriate value but rather shows the default "0" value. However, when I save and close everything the databases are in fact linked as I can later access the data.

On a second note, I also have a calculated field in the parent database, however, the calculated field does not update itself until the record is saved, closed and reopened. Is that normal?

Thanks
nmoens

Re: Linked fields not working

Postby dhaupert » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi there,

So you are saying that the 'Show Value from' that is supposed to show next to the linked field is showing a 0?

In answer to your second question, on the Blackberry the calculations are indeed updated when you load or save a record, but not as the field's change. It's unfortunate, but it was a performance related change based on the slower platform.
dhaupert

Postby nmoens » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:38 am

thanks for the quick reply...
That is indeed what is hapening. The "show value from" remains "0" instead of showing the value from the parent database. The same 2 databases work fine on the desktop.

Another issue that I found was ennoying was the default value in a numerical field. On a numeric field with 2decimals, the default value is 0.00 However, to enter a number in that field you have to first erase the 0.00 before you can write a number in the field.
The same issue is present for the integer field, however, the 0 present in the field does not cause a problem as it disappears on its own once the number is entered after it.

Noel
nmoens

Postby landpatterson » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:58 pm

David,

Further to this theme, is there a way to change the default integer value from "0" to empty when creating a new record? I am using the integer field to identify unit numbers of equipment and find I have to remove the "0" on each new record. I was using a text field previously but could not sort it, so the integer field is an advantage.

Thanks, Les
landpatterson

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi Les,

The previous poster mentioned that you can ignore the 0 at the beginning as it will get stripped off when you save the record. So for example, you scroll to the field check# and it's an integer field and defaults to the value of 0. You start typing your new value of 145 and you wind up with 0145. When saved the 0 strips off automatically!

Unfortunately the integer field by design has to have some numeric value to it since it's not stored merely as text. So while you can set a default for the value, it can't be blank, unfortunately.

If you'd like to use a text field and get the right sorting capability, it can be done- here's how:

Create the text field
Create a calculated field which is the text field + 0. Hide this field from view.
Sort by the calculated field and not the text field and you'll get the results you're after!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry