handbase pdb across platforms

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

handbase pdb across platforms

Postby quipper8 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:23 pm

we have a lot of data and lot of users with various mobile phone platforms. my idea is to use handbase data exchange to generate pdb from my odbc compliant database once per day with a script on a windows machine that will also upload it and let users with handbase installed on their devices download this pdb whenever needed. i am unclear on a few things:

is the pdb format that data exchange generates compatible across all platforms that handbase runs on? the database needs only be viewable, not editabe.

can iphone and blackberry users download files over http to device and have them usable to apps? i know this is doable with windows mobile,palm,and symbian but i have not used a BB or iphone before

does the handbase runtime builder work only for palm and winmo or also for BB and symbian? i know the locked down nature of apple prolly would make this impossible folr iphone so i wont even ask about that.

thanks for info.

PS i used handbase way back around 2000 or so on my trg pro :) loved it then and would love to put it into use again so many years later
quipper8

Re: handbase pdb across platforms

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:36 pm

quipper8 wrote:we have a lot of data and lot of users with various mobile phone platforms. my idea is to use handbase data exchange to generate pdb from my odbc compliant database once per day with a script on a windows machine that will also upload it and let users with handbase installed on their devices download this pdb whenever needed. i am unclear on a few things:

is the pdb format that data exchange generates compatible across all platforms that handbase runs on? the database needs only be viewable, not editabe.

Great question. We actual do support the same PDB format on all platforms but one- that's BlackBerry. The iPhone, Palm, S60, Windows Mobile, Windows and Mac versions all use the same format. The BlackBerry differs in that the conduit program we include translate the format to the native BlackBerry database format. This is done transparently, so if you are syncing or installing a file through the desktop software, it's not even known to most users!

can iphone and blackberry users download files over http to device and have them usable to apps? i know this is doable with windows mobile,palm,and symbian but i have not used a BB or iphone before

You are correct in regards to the platforms you were sure about. In the case of the iPhone it's doable but requires a small modifcation- the reason being is that the safari web browser does not know about HanDBase. The http:// link has to be recast on the given web page as handbase:// and then Safari will pass the PDB file to the iPhone version of HanDBase.

does the handbase runtime builder work only for palm and winmo or also for BB and symbian? i know the locked down nature of apple prolly would make this impossible folr iphone so i wont even ask about that.

We don't yet offer a runtime builder for S60, BB or iPhone. That said, we can deliver a custom app with the same functionality. The cost is going to be a bit higher because of the nature of us having to roll a custom app out and not leave it up to an automated web site. But it's still a lot cheaper than paying someone to design your solution from scratch! In the case of the iPhone, we can deliver a product to you, but it will require signing as part of the compile process, which means you'd have to get an Apple developer account (USD $99/year) and provide us with access to the developer portion of the account to sign it under your company. This adds to the time and complexity, but it's still a great opportunity with over 40 million devices capable of getting your app via the App Store!

PS i used handbase way back around 2000 or so on my trg pro :) loved it then and would love to put it into use again so many years later

We would love to have you back as an active user! Welcome to the forums :)
dhaupert

Postby quipper8 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:27 pm

thanks for the thorough reply dave, i understand these few issues much better now. as for:

Great question. We actual do support the same PDB format on all platforms but one- that's BlackBerry. The iPhone, Palm, S60, Windows Mobile, Windows and Mac versions all use the same format. The BlackBerry differs in that the conduit program we include translate the format to the native BlackBerry database format. This is done transparently, so if you are syncing or installing a file through the desktop software, it's not even known to most users!

since you already have the code in BB conduit to massage into BB format, any chance of incorporating into data exchange via a command line switch to output BB format?

or would it be possible to run the blackberry conduit conversions on a pdb without having an actual bB syncing?
quipper8

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:57 pm

quipper8 wrote:
since you already have the code in BB conduit to massage into BB format, any chance of incorporating into data exchange via a command line switch to output BB format?

or would it be possible to run the blackberry conduit conversions on a pdb without having an actual bB syncing?

Data exchange still works to the BB as does our sync exchange which is the automatic conduit sync with other ODBC sources. The problem is that the BB device actually has to create the database in their format using SQL commands, there is not a file I can create on the PC to do it automatically. So the process of syncing involves an on the fly creation of a database to match that of the PDB format, and vice versa and involves both the PC and the BlackBerry at this point. Hope that makes sense!
dhaupert

Postby quipper8 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:14 pm

oh, gotcha, i didnt know the device software was doing some of the converting. will have to google around and see about this blackberry data format.

so if i have a user with blackberry, they could download the pdb, tell the blackberry conduit where it is and get it on their device?

or

does the BB conduit and device only do the conversion straight from the data source?

sorry if appear dense :)
quipper8

Return to HanDBase General Discussion