Color Images

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Color Images

Postby johngjr » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi, Let me start out by saying I am NEW to HanDBase, being a long time user of Smart List To Go and Palm, I was recently forced to go to Blackberry and HanDBase. So far so good, it seems after trying several other applications HanDBase is the BEST.

My Question is... is there any future plans to make the image field accept a color image, I used this extensivly on Smart List To Go and would find it very usefull on HanDBase.

Thank you, John
johngjr

Re: Color Images

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:14 am

Hi there,

Thanks for writing. The image field that is within the Blackberry is really nowadays a misnomer. Back when the HanDBase format was created (1998 for it's initial format) there was no such thing as a color display on a PDA or mobile device. So an image was always in nature black and white. The format we implemented does not support color and really in this day and age is only useful as a signature field on touch screen devices. So for example, that field type is called signature on iPhone and the upcoming Android version.

A color image field is not planned for BlackBerry at this time, but perhaps when we do our next major revision (version 5) of HanDBase we can consider this.

Sorry!
dhaupert

Postby johngjr » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:23 pm

I hope this will be a consideration in the next revision. One use I have for an image field is that some websites use an image to confirm your identity when loging on, I have found it very useful to have this available. Another way I have found to use an image field is to have an image of the item in an inventory database.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to your customers.
johngjr

Postby johngjr » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:22 am

dhaupert wrote:Hi there,

Thanks for writing. The image field that is within the Blackberry is really nowadays a misnomer. Back when the HanDBase format was created (1998 for it's initial format) there was no such thing as a color display on a PDA or mobile device. So an image was always in nature black and white. The format we implemented does not support color and really in this day and age is only useful as a signature field on touch screen devices. So for example, that field type is called signature on iPhone and the upcoming Android version.

A color image field is not planned for BlackBerry at this time, but perhaps when we do our next major revision (version 5) of HanDBase we can consider this.

Sorry!

A followup to my inquiry to my original question on June 10, 2010

I was wondering if anything is yet planned concerning a color image field for future updates. Another option that would work for my purposes is an 8 bit black and white image field.

Thank you for your consideration
John
johngjr

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for following up. The response on the BlackBerry version has been very small compared to several other versions. At this point I honestly have very little planned in the way of future features for HanDBase on the BlackBerry. Bug fixes and general support of the program are something I plan to continue as needed. This is of course something that could change if the response/demand changes, but just being honest about it so you can set your expectations accordingly. Sorry!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry