Any way to stop 'no value' appearing in empty fields?

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

Any way to stop 'no value' appearing in empty fields?

Postby jonboy99 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:15 pm

I am exporting my handbase database to a comma separated value file in order to then import it into a logging application. For many database records, pop up value fields are not filled in due to the nature of the information being recorded. When I export these records, the csv has a 'no value' entry in many of the fields.

Is there any way I can choose to simply have the field completely empty? I can not figure out how to set a blank entry in a pop up field, and have that as the default. My logging applicaiton treats the 'no value' entry as per any other text entry and it makes my log outputs look messy with lots of 'no values' being recorded.

Thanks
Jon
jonboy99

Re: Any way to stop 'no value' appearing in empty fields?

Postby dhaupert » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your question. Two possible suggestions:

1. Change the field type to a text field. The default value of a text field can be left blank, but you can then still select from it's popup list. There is no 'no value' popup value on a popup field.

2. Keep the field as a popup, but add a new value of a blank value. I think you have to enter something in a popup field, so perhaps a space would do it. Now set that to the default value of the field.

I think the cleaner solution is #1, but if you don't want the chance that someone could enter something other than what is a popup item, I'd go with #2.

Hope this helps.
dhaupert

Postby jonboy99 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:27 pm

Thanks Dave. I've gone with option 1 as to add, say, a space as default value in a popup field would lead to another strange summary of fields in my log application. The only disadvantage with the text field is I can't get the field to appear in handbase as only one row, so there is a bit more scrolling to do, but I can live with that. It is a shame you can't have a truly blank value in a popup field.

Thanks for quick reply.

Jon
jonboy99

Postby curtterp » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:50 am

One other thought.

When you export the database to a .csv file, if you have Excel, you could open up the file, and do a find and replace for all "No Value" to nothing.( I can only speak of Excel, not sure if other spreadsheet programs would do this or not) This way you could keep your database the way it is, and it would only take a couple of extra minutes to do (actually takes longer to open/save the file, than it takes for the find and replace.)

Not the most optimal solution, but just something to think about.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby jonboy99 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:21 am

Good suggestion cutterp, thanks again guys.
jonboy99

Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional