Import and editing of new database

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Import and editing of new database

Postby ken.w » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:32 pm

I just bought the iPhone app and downloaded 4.30 for Mac. I exported a CSV file from Bento and imported it into HanDBase. Unfortunately all the fields, even numbers and dates, are text, so sorting is all messed up. I've looked around, but can't find any of this. Before I get it to the iPhone, I want to clean up the database.

How can I convert the date field to a real date field so sorting will work correctly (or fix the export or import)?

How can I rearrange the order of the fields/colums?

How can I delete some fields/columns?

Thanks.
ken.w

Re: Import and editing of new database

Postby dhaupert » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your purchase and your post here! Indeed when you import a CSV file into a new file, the defaults for all fields are text. When you install this to your iPhone you can then change the field types, change the order, etc. We have all the design capabilities in the iPhone app, and the Mac version is meant to be a companion to it for data entry and such. My plans are that the Mac version will gain all of these database property editing features over the months to come. I've been adding more and more to it over the years - originally you could only do an import and export and over the last year+ I've added the ability to edit records, sort, search, etc. More to come over time but for now you can do all the database property changes right on the iPhone!

Hope this helps.
dhaupert

Re: Import and editing of new database

Postby ken.w » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks. That'll work. It's a little unwieldy setting it all up, but I'll play around.
ken.w

Return to HanDBase for Mac