Missing Preferences Options

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Missing Preferences Options

Postby MadMacs » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:29 pm

I have just downloaded the latest version, setup_handbase4propalm.dmg, (Handbase Desktop version 4.30) and when I open the Handbase Desktop application and look at the preferences I only see the Formats and Open and Save tabs. The Layout and Users tabs are not present. This means that I can't save changes or new databases!

Version 4.0 shows the missing tabs but the Users tab only has 'Coming soon'.

I'm running OS X 10.5.8 on an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac.

Is this a known bug?
MadMacs

Re: Missing Preferences Options

Postby dhaupert » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:49 am

Hi there,

The layout and users tabs were never implemented in HanDBase for Mac, but I don't think they were to do what you expected. HanDBase for Mac supports users on Palm and iPhone, depending on the version you purchase. And in the future when our Android version launches, you'll see support for that as well. But it's not configured through the preferences screen, rather under the Devices section of the pull down menu.

You can indeed save databases and install to various users- there is an option under the file menu to install to a smartphone or handheld.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
dhaupert

Postby MadMacs » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I have attached a screen grab of the various application windows that I see. In the Open Handbase Database File dialogue I cannot select a user, only browse for files.
The preferences window shows that queue database to reinstall to Palm user is selected.
The install databases to handheld/phone window does not list my Palm device.

The Devices Menu does not recognise the Palm device, the dialogue message states 'Handbase Plus required for iPhone/iPad (I have a registered copy of HanDBase Professional for Palm OS v 4.3).

Version 4.0 had buttons to insert/delete records but this version 4.30 does not, so I cannot make changes to a database file within the Handbase Desktop application. I can save a database, but only by overwriting the original file, not by using a different name or location.

I could use the Windows version, under Wine, that is supplied but it looks like a Windows application :-(
Attachments
Screen Capture 1.jpg
Shows Open File, Preferences, Test file and Select install location
Screen Capture 1.jpg (219.2 KiB) Viewed 756 times
MadMacs

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:48 am

Thanks for your detailed followup. The Palm support is still in there, but since Palm has not updated the desktop to work with the Intel only architecture, it's quite possible the Palm libraries we link to (supplied by them) didn't load. You can try launching the console (under Application->Utilities) and go to System.log to see if there is any message related to Palm libraries failing to load and we can take it from there. Let me know.

Regarding the iPhone/iPod users, indeed, while you can open up databases by browsing to folders, support for syncing to users is only part of the packages mentioned in that error box, so you won't see any users listed there. We have to do things differently on the iPhone since the iTunes software does not allow us to retrieve user names, sync, etc. So we have our own partnerships with iPhones and such via the conduit.

Lastly, you can certainly insert and change records with this version. The newer version supports a separate Edit Record screen. As you can see in your rightmost screenshot there is a big new button at the top of the database. Similarly double clicking a record will open the edit record screen for that record as well.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby MadMacs » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks for you latest message. There are none so blind that cannot see, sorry! I guess I was not seeing when I was looking at the interface, how did I miss that big 'New' button?

There are indeed error messages relating to the Palm, they are:
HanDBase Desktop 4[314]: Error opening Palm OS Shared Library
HanDBase Desktop 4[314]: Cannot find Palm Hotsync Libraries

I am also using 'The Missing Sync For Palm OS' version 6.0.6, but this shouldn't affect it, as Handbase Desktop version 4.0 'sees' the Palm Users.

I can carry on using it now though, so I'm happy as things are :-)

Thanks again.
MadMacs

Return to HanDBase for Mac