Palm Pre? Who's buying one this weekend?

Discuss HanDBase running on various Palm OS devices and synchronization with desktop computers.

Are you planning on buying a Pre?

Yes, I'm getting in line this weekend (or before!) to get one
11%
Yes, I plan to get one, but first going to read the reviews to make sure it's as good as it looks
22%
Maybe, I plan on waiting to see what the next generation iPhone, Nokia n97, BlackBerry Storm 2, etc is like
11%
Not planning on purchasing a Pre at this time
56%

Total votes : 9

Re: Palm Pre? Who's buying one this weekend?

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:57 pm

BruceArnold wrote:Well, I had some free time this morning (Monday) so I thought I'd go to the Sprint store and at least check out the Pre, and maybe buy one.

Obstacle #1: the local store is closed "for repairs." Sign on the door gave phone #'s for stores in neighboring towns.

Call the Havelock store. Nice young lady tells me that they don't have them, and have not yet gotten got any. They are not owned by Sprint, and she thinks that they sent the first batch to their own stores. That's an odd marketing technique. Send me an email saying that they are available now, but not to stock them at all the Sprint stores, whether corporately owned or not. But she thinks the store in Jacksonville, which is corporate, might have them.

Call Jacksonville. Get a surly salesman. They don't have them. Silence. Me: "So, any idea when you might get them?" Him: "No." Silence. Me: "You're not trying very hard to sell them, are you?" Him: "They're all on backorder." Me: "Backorder? Really? They just went on sale two days ago." Him: "There are 50 states and the rest of the world to supply." Me: "Both Sprint and Palm are struggling financially. Market share is dropping fast. Does this strike you as a good way to improve things, to promote something for months and then not have it to sell?" Him: "I don't know." Silence. Me: "Okay, then." Click.

Maybe I'll wait six months until the other cell providers can sell them. If this is the way things are going, I don't expect Sprint to be around for long.

Wow Bruce, it does seem like they are shooting themselves in the foot. I know their supply was short. They (Palm) are a financially hurting company and likely put everything they had into making a limited run of units. The rumor is that 50,000 sold this weekend, so they now have financing to do a much bigger run. This is my guess at it all. On the Spring side, I think it was announced that Sprint stores, Best Buy and Radio shack would all stock them. But I guess as you found it was only Sprint stores, not stores that carry sprint phones. In any case, judging by the response I've seen, there is a lot of interest in the device, but many are just going to wait for Verizon and/or ATT to carry them.
dhaupert

Postby gynonc » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:41 pm

I got the Pre and love it! Too bad that Sprint is the carrier...very poor coverage here in S. Cal. For that reason I'll still use my AT&T phone for calls.

I assume that DDH will have a Pre-compatible HanDbase sometime in the near future. Until then I'll try to get the Classic interface to work (so far, not much luck...).
gynonc

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:00 am

gynonc wrote:I got the Pre and love it! Too bad that Sprint is the carrier...very poor coverage here in S. Cal. For that reason I'll still use my AT&T phone for calls.

I assume that DDH will have a Pre-compatible HanDbase sometime in the near future. Until then I'll try to get the Classic interface to work (so far, not much luck...).

I am fairly certain we won't have one in the near future- we're not even set up to develop for it yet and rewriting an application like HanDBase from scratch in their new language will take a man-year of development time. So while we may support it natively in the future, it's safe to say it won't be any time this year.

Longer term, it's really dependent on whether the classic mode use of our existing app suits needs and frankly how many people the Pre can reach sales-wise. I know I'm rooting for Palm here, but they still have an uphill battle ahead of them.
dhaupert

Postby Steve » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:49 pm

I'm a Treo 650 user. And am experiencing the frequent resets during Handbase use that have been mentioned here.
The Pre impresses me greatly, but I'm so bound to Handbase and AT&T that I will not switch until
it is available through AT&T and will run on the Pre with all the features intact.

SO on that note, Hows the Handbase/emulator combo working so far on the Pre?. I assume you guys are testing it.

Heres to hoping its working well and Palm displacing, Blackberry.
(Can ya tell I don't like Blackberrys :lol: )
Steve

Postby jdixon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:04 pm

I was intent on obtaining one, but since there is no sync ability there is no point. :ugeek:
jdixon

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:32 pm

jdixon wrote:I was intent on obtaining one, but since there is no sync ability there is no point. :ugeek:

Are you referring to no syncing on the Pre with HanDBase, or the Pre not having syncing in general? Reason I asked is because the reason for this thread was to gauge the demand for the Pre and determine whether we should create a sync conduit for it. It's quite doable, but MotionApps has also said they are looking into adding Hotsync Support, so if they did, we may not need to even provide a conduit.

Basically, if there was enough demand, I could develop one right away and not wait for MotionApps. Hence the reason for the poll!
dhaupert

Postby dpolaner » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:52 pm

I bought a Pre the first week it came out. What I really wanted (and have wanted for some time) was an iPhone, but with 4 phones on my family plan under contract with Sprint, the cost of canceling contracts and switching to ATT was just prohibitive. Here in Colorado Sprint service is actually pretty good, with excellent coverage at the mountain towns as well, although I did have to buy a GSM phone for when I travel to Europe (would have been nice to just have a European SIM card instead). Anyway, my experience with the Pre so far is mixed. The ergonomics and function of the device itself is a big step up from my Centro. The biggest problem is obviously the lack of software. MotionApps Classic is still somewhat buggy (although nothing like the initial release, which crashed nearly every time). I still get the blue screen of death , but it will usually launch on the 2nd try. Running in emulation, even though speed is pretty good (yes, I think it is quite a bit faster than on my Centro) is still far less than ideal. Screen real estate is very drastically reduced. The accelerometer does not work so you cannot see large databases in landscape mode (something I was looking forward to). The lack of synching makes me very worried, as I am forever in fear of losing data, and would like to also have the data on my desktop (Mac user). The screen is very poorly optimized for the Pre- since there is no stylus function, things like small buttons and scroll-bars become very difficult to use (Tealdoc is particularly difficult in this regard).

I have no idea if the Pre is going to take off and become a viable competitor and option to the iPhone, but I sure hope that you develop a native HanDBase app for it- I hate running in emulation!!
dpolaner

Postby jdixon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:41 pm

Dave,

Pre sync with Handbase. Primarily my use, as you may or may not recall, is SnycExchange.

On a related note: I have been a loyal customer of yours for almost five years. Whenever any of my colleagues is looking for a quality database platform for their PDA with portability (ODBC), I am the first one to tout your product.

Although I am disappointed that Palm did not consider their strong following who have stuck with them since the PalmPilot days, I am more concerned that your company has taken a route to not develop/implement one of the features that I believe represents one of its strongest selling point: portability.

I understand that you must carefully choose which markets to following and how best to use your resources but in this case I believe DDHSOFTWARE should not wait for a third party.

Thanks again for the product,

John
jdixon

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 pm

jdixon wrote:Dave,

Pre sync with Handbase. Primarily my use, as you may or may not recall, is SnycExchange.

I think we'll be able to offer a solution in the next few months whether done via the good old Hotsync conduit, or whether we offer a Palm Pre conduit option for customers. There are enough people asking about it to warrant some digging to come up with a solution sooner rather than later!

On a related note: I have been a loyal customer of yours for almost five years. Whenever any of my colleagues is looking for a quality database platform for their PDA with portability (ODBC), I am the first one to tout your product.

Thanks- so glad to hear that! Since we run on basically no advertising budget, it's word of mouth from nice customers like you that keep us going. ;)

Although I am disappointed that Palm did not consider their strong following who have stuck with them since the PalmPilot days, I am more concerned that your company has taken a route to not develop/implement one of the features that I believe represents one of its strongest selling point: portability.

I can't blame Palm for leaving us veteran Palm programmers in the dust. While companies like ours were instrumental to their early success, the world has changed a lot since then, and now it's companies like Facebook, Twitter, MovieFone, etc that are going to get the most people excited about apps on a mobile device. And they are giving them the 'front row seats' to the concert now and I have no sour grapes for that- I'm still grateful I was given the opportunity I have with the Palm OS and now with the Web OS as a regular developer with no special treatment!

If by Portability, you mean conduit, then stay tuned- remember, they haven't even released a developer's SDK to the public yet. Way to early to call this one!

I understand that you must carefully choose which markets to following and how best to use your resources but in this case I believe DDHSOFTWARE should not wait for a third party.

Well said and point taken!
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:46 pm

dpolaner wrote:I bought a Pre the first week it came out. What I really wanted (and have wanted for some time) was an iPhone, but with 4 phones on my family plan under contract with Sprint, the cost of canceling contracts and switching to ATT was just prohibitive. Here in Colorado Sprint service is actually pretty good, with excellent coverage at the mountain towns as well, although I did have to buy a GSM phone for when I travel to Europe (would have been nice to just have a European SIM card instead). Anyway, my experience with the Pre so far is mixed. The ergonomics and function of the device itself is a big step up from my Centro. The biggest problem is obviously the lack of software. MotionApps Classic is still somewhat buggy (although nothing like the initial release, which crashed nearly every time). I still get the blue screen of death , but it will usually launch on the 2nd try. Running in emulation, even though speed is pretty good (yes, I think it is quite a bit faster than on my Centro) is still far less than ideal. Screen real estate is very drastically reduced. The accelerometer does not work so you cannot see large databases in landscape mode (something I was looking forward to). The lack of synching makes me very worried, as I am forever in fear of losing data, and would like to also have the data on my desktop (Mac user). The screen is very poorly optimized for the Pre- since there is no stylus function, things like small buttons and scroll-bars become very difficult to use (Tealdoc is particularly difficult in this regard).

I have no idea if the Pre is going to take off and become a viable competitor and option to the iPhone, but I sure hope that you develop a native HanDBase app for it- I hate running in emulation!!

Thanks for your great input on this. I heard that the Classic app had a few major issues in the first releases. I know they are working on further updates to make it more stable. Unfortunately the fact that they are having these stability problems probably does not bode well for the opportunity for other developers to have direct/native access to running compile code and libraries for the Pre. As you may be aware, the default development is done like a web page with some embedded calls to do things that a normal web app couldn't. But this means that something like an encryption library that is written in C can't be used, unless they give special access as they did to Classic and a few of the music/video apps.

On Android, while the apps written are not basically web pages, they were still not native/compiled in the truest sense. Just recently they released a great workaround solution- the ability to compile native libraries and call them from the main code. If Palm offered that, we'd have a case where we could potentially offer a native HanDBase- the PDB libraries, the encryption libraries, the advanced calculations, etc could all be delivered as a library and I can access that from the web page normal app code. Here's hoping that they will still consider this!

Regarding the conduit, please stay tuned- we were waiting for Classic to support hotsync, but if they are going to take an unknown or long time to do it, we can certainly 'come to the rescue' with a brand new conduit to the best of our ability!
dhaupert

Previous

Return to HanDBase for Palm OS