remote sync template ?

Discuss HanDBase running on various Palm OS devices and synchronization with desktop computers.

remote sync template ?

Postby voytek » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:46 am

I'm just trying to research database templates that are available for use for keeping track of (PC) equipment and/or problem resolution;

I see there are several databases there already, that I aim to try (one I install handbase), BUT:

are there any databases that will sync with a remote MySQL database over wifi or GPRS/3g ?

anyone here uses something like that ?

ideally I would like some sort of web based database that I can selectively sync,

from reading the docs on this site, I gather that's doable with enterprise edition

TIA for any pointers, encouragements, suggestions, or, better still, sample databases, offers of help...

equipment in use T3/TX wifi/3g
voytek

Re: remote sync template ?

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:35 am

Hi,

Thanks for your question. I know there are many people who are syncing their databases with MySQL, and typically remotely, but I don't believe I've seen any sort of standard template or package with a MySQL template to go with a PDB database file. I may be wrong and perhaps you'll hear from someone, but at least on the HanDBase Gallery I have not seen such a thing.

Since you can typically take a HanDBase PDB database and use HanDBase Data Exchange (included in Enterprise) to populate a database in MySQL, it may be quicker to just create your own MySQL database rather than wait for someone else to provide you with a complete set. Then you'd have control of the field types as well!

Good luck!
dhaupert

Postby voytek » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:00 pm

dhaupert wrote:I know there are many people who are syncing their databases with MySQL, and typically remotely, but I don't believe I've seen any sort of standard template or package with a MySQL template to go with a PDB database file. I may be wrong and perhaps you'll hear from someone, but at least on the HanDBase Gallery I have not seen such a thing.
Since you can typically take a HanDBase PDB database and use HanDBase Data Exchange (included in Enterprise) to populate a database in MySQL, it may be quicker to just create your own MySQL database rather than wait for someone else to provide you with a complete set. Then you'd have control of the field types as well!

thanks. ahem, some more dumb questions...:

assuming I have a Palm h/h, Palm desktop and a remote MySQL server:

I wish to either get or place some records into a remote MySQL database:

if I run a Palm hotsync, a HanDBase component will communicate during hotsync with the remote database;
or:
I can connect Palm to the net, and, bypass Palm hotsync, just run HanDBase from Palm to communicate with the remote database to exchange/query remote database;

and, for both of above, I would need HanDBase Enterprise, yes ?

if the remote database is not available, I guess there is some graceful timeout ?

data traffic overhead: if I run this over Palm hotsync, it's irrelevant, but, if I run this over GPRS, traffic overhead is of interest:
say I run a query that returns some records, how efficient is traffic o/head on top of the data retrieved ?

HanDBase Enterprise includes 'everything' one might desire, except the report writer component, yes ?

is Bachman's PrintBoy a supported option for printing?

thanks again
voytek

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:30 am

voytek wrote:
assuming I have a Palm h/h, Palm desktop and a remote MySQL server:

I wish to either get or place some records into a remote MySQL database:

if I run a Palm hotsync, a HanDBase component will communicate during hotsync with the remote database;
or:
I can connect Palm to the net, and, bypass Palm hotsync, just run HanDBase from Palm to communicate with the remote database to exchange/query remote database;

and, for both of above, I would need HanDBase Enterprise, yes ?

This is about 50% correct- the first option of communicating with a remote MySQL database via Hotsync is correct. We don't have a sync option to go right from the Palm to MySQL. What people typically do in this case is sync via GPRS to their desktop, which then connects via HanDBase Sync Exchange (included in Enterprise) to the MySQL server.

if the remote database is not available, I guess there is some graceful timeout ?

This is based on the MySQL ODBC driver and how it returns it's time out, but typically yes, you wind up with some message in the Hotsync log showing it failed to connect.

data traffic overhead: if I run this over Palm hotsync, it's irrelevant, but, if I run this over GPRS, traffic overhead is of interest:
say I run a query that returns some records, how efficient is traffic o/head on top of the data retrieved ?

Since it's requires a Hotsync, it's quite data intensive. I've done syncs of GPRS connections before, and typically disable all but HanDBase. Depending on the size of the database, it can still be quite slow and data intensive. I was also testing on an unlimited connection, so it was not of consequence if it used too much bandwidth. If it were a metered connection I probably would not have used it!

HanDBase Enterprise includes 'everything' one might desire, except the report writer component, yes ?

Yes, except Reporter and the runtime option we offer separately.

is Bachman's PrintBoy a supported option for printing?

Yes, both PalmPrint and Bachmann PrintBoy are supported!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Palm OS