How to Migrate from Itouch to Iphone?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

How to Migrate from Itouch to Iphone?

Postby Gwill21 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:30 pm

I've been using HanDbase for some time and now want to migrate my data from my iTouch to my iPhone. How do I do that?
Gwill21

Re: How to Migrate from Itouch to Iphone?

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:52 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. To better answer your question I'll ask a few of my own! Are you using the HanDBase conduit (eg, HanDBase Plus Add-on or Professional or Enterprise?). If you are, the process is quite smooth...

- Make sure you sync your iPod Touch to your computer using the HanDBase conduit so all databases are backed up.
- Your next step would be to run the HanDBase Desktop, select Configure and then iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch Users.
- Now if you are moving from the iPod touch to an iPhone and want to just continue along with your iPhone instead of your iPod touch, then from here click the old iPod touch partnership and the sync button. You'll be prompted if you'd like to restore all of the databases to your device since it appears to be a new install. If you select yes, then all databases are automatically restored.

If however, you want to create a new second partnership instead, you have a few extra steps to do:
- Go ahead and create the new partnership, pressing the button to create a new partnership and walking through the steps and first sync.
- Now after this partnership is selected, you can queue up the databases to sync to that device. Here comes another question... do you want the new device to sync with the databases that the old iPod touch is syncing to? If so, then you can make changes on either and on each sync, all the information is shared between them. If that's what you want, then..
- In the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch screen, click the original iPod touch name in the list and click 'Edit Sync Settings'. You should see a list of all the databases that are synced to that device. You can then click the first one and check the option to share this database with other users. You can select all users if you want, or just some and check the iPhone.
- Now repeat for each database.
- On your next sync, those dbs will be installed and in the future, they will all sync together. One thing to note, since they are all syncing to the iPod touch folder, you should always select that user from the File|Open screen as that's where the latest databases will reside!

If you don't want this multi-user sync and would rather these databases be synced to the new iPhone folder, the process is a little different:
- Open a database from the iPod touch user list and then press File|Install to Smartphone/Handheld
- Select the new iPhone user from that list.
- Repeat this process for each database you want to move over.
- Now sync and those databases will be installed.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions!
dhaupert

Postby glenwf » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:46 pm

I assume the procedures for a transfer still apply?

One thing you didn't discuss is first the new device must have HanDBase installed on it. I plan on replacing my iPod Touch 5 with the newest model that can run the latest iOS and the latest HanDBase version. So, how do I get the program on the new device? I shouldn't have to buy a new program since I won't be using the old device anymore, but for an hour there will be a version on both my old and my new devices. At that point I can sync my old device with my laptop (OSX) and then with my new device.

Help appreciated.
glenwf

Postby curtterp » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:55 am

glenwf wrote:I assume the procedures for a transfer still apply?

One thing you didn't discuss is first the new device must have HanDBase installed on it. I plan on replacing my iPod Touch 5 with the newest model that can run the latest iOS and the latest HanDBase version. So, how do I get the program on the new device? I shouldn't have to buy a new program since I won't be using the old device anymore, but for an hour there will be a version on both my old and my new devices. At that point I can sync my old device with my laptop (OSX) and then with my new device.

Help appreciated.

The process is quite simple if you use the same Apple ID on your new device. Once you get the initial setup done on your iPhone:
  • Open the App Store
  • Press on your avatar in the top right of any screen in the App Store (except the search screen)
  • Press on the word "Purchases"
  • Press on the square button "Not on this iPhone"
  • Scroll down the list until you see HanDBase, click on the cloud with a down arrow to the right
  • If you don't see HanDBase in this list, it has already downloaded to your iPhone

If you set up a new Apple ID, then you must purchase HanDBase again. This is a function of the App Store and Dave has no control over that.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch