Desktop Sync with iPhone

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Desktop Sync with iPhone

Postby lagunacreek » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:35 pm

I just downloaded the 4.1 R1 HanDBase Professional Desktop.
The previous version allowed me to sync with my iPhone using the Bonjour address
eg http://xxxx.local:8080
This no longer seems to work and I had to enter my actual device IP addess.
http://192.nnn.n.nnn:8080
Is this intended?
Not a biggie, but everytime my iPhone grabs a new IP I will need to reenter the IP (well... one digit of the IP!!!)
thanks
lagunacreek

Re: Desktop Sync with iPhone

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:28 pm

lagunacreek wrote:I just downloaded the 4.1 R1 HanDBase Professional Desktop.
The previous version allowed me to sync with my iPhone using the Bonjour address
eg http://xxxx.local:8080
This no longer seems to work and I had to enter my actual device IP addess.
http://192.nnn.n.nnn:8080
Is this intended?
Not a biggie, but everytime my iPhone grabs a new IP I will need to reenter the IP (well... one digit of the IP!!!)
thanks

Hi,

I'm puzzled by the bonjour address you mentioned. Is it possible you're thinking of a different app? Because we never intentionally supported Bonjour at this point. It's actually on my todo list to implement, but as of now, if we did at some point support Bonjour, it was totally accidental!
dhaupert

Postby lagunacreek » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:09 pm

Bonjour on the PC recognizes a named IP on the desktop for quite a number iPhone applications.
The configuration is
http://itunesdevicename.local:8080
For example, Files, iSilo among others allow you to use this configuration.
So with the 4.0 version of the desktop this Bonjour sync address worked. This saves you the trouble of having to reenter the IP address every time it changes, especially in moving between wireless networks. For example, I have an AirPort I use when I travel and a different network at home. Using the Bonjour address made this transparent.
I wonder what you "fixed" with the new desktop release? ;)
lagunacreek

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi again,

Thanks for the info you posted- it's most interesting. However, I'm still a bit thrown off- we did not release a new desktop/sync version. V4.1 is the one we released with the original conduit release back last year. V4.0 was out long before the iPhone and knew nothing of syncing.

What you're mentioning still sounds like you may have things confused with other apps. But perhaps you know something I don't! That would be wonderful news if it was already broadcasting it's bonjour address without me coding for it ;)

In any case, you should be able to see if this works from Safari, Firefox, etc. Start desktop connect on your iPhone and type in the address you mentioned on your desktop. Does it still connect? If so, then please let me know the details of your setup (ie, what desktop browser you are using, etc). On my end, I tried the link in the format for bonjour (replacing the space with a dash and eliminating the apostrophe) but it did not work.
dhaupert

Postby lagunacreek » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:00 am

I am not sure what happened, but after I upgraded the desktop from 4.1.3 to 4.1.5 it may have somehow affected my Bonjour (but can't be absolutely sure).
So now the device name is slightly different...
I am using my name here as an example
Prior to the update I synced
lagunacreek.local:8080
Now I need to put (I reinstalled bonjour just in case so this may have affected things)
lagunacreek-3.local:8080
This is IP independent as I tried to sync on my home network and my AirPort. Both worked again.
HanDBase does work with Bonjour.
If you need more info, email me and I can send screenshots etc on how this is configured.
lagunacreek

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:06 am

lagunacreek wrote:I am not sure what happened, but after I upgraded the desktop from 4.1.3 to 4.1.5 it may have somehow affected my Bonjour (but can't be absolutely sure).
So now the device name is slightly different...
I am using my name here as an example
Prior to the update I synced
lagunacreek.local:8080
Now I need to put (I reinstalled bonjour just in case so this may have affected things)
lagunacreek-3.local:8080
This is IP independent as I tried to sync on my home network and my AirPort. Both worked again.
HanDBase does work with Bonjour.
If you need more info, email me and I can send screenshots etc on how this is configured.

That's terrific news for us as it opens up a slew of possibilities for improving the software! Can you tell me how you determined lagunacreek-3.local:8080 was the device address? Typically a bonjour enabled application broadcasts it's address and other programs search for it, but in this case, we are not doing anything like that. I read last night that as of iPhone 2.1 they are broadcasting the device via Bonjour, so perhaps that is what is happening. But I don't see how to find out the address of the device in this case.
dhaupert

Postby lagunacreek » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:09 pm

I can't actually remember how I got the device name.
Per all the literature it should always be the device name listed on iTunes.
Thus it becomes devicename.local:8080
Since HanDBase was the only thing that changed when this stopped working, I went into damage control mode.
Ultimately at one point Vista sent an error message showing the devicename as
devicename-3
I am not sure why this changed.
If I have time later today I am going to try and change the devicename to see if I can get rid of the -3 since I am a little concern I am getting a conflict between what Windows says and what iTunes says.
lagunacreek

Postby lagunacreek » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:44 pm

I just changed the device name and it Bonjour name changed.
HanDBase picks up on it great.
To sync with the desktop just enter
http://devicename.local:8080
Essentially this is a NAT (to use Windows terms). This way you do not need to enter a new IP address for each wireless network you sync with.
This is a very cool, if undocumented, feature of Bonjour. (Believe I looked everywhere to see how this works. Only olivetoast/Files documents this process!!!)
lagunacreek

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:38 pm

lagunacreek wrote:I just changed the device name and it Bonjour name changed.
HanDBase picks up on it great.
To sync with the desktop just enter
http://devicename.local:8080
Essentially this is a NAT (to use Windows terms). This way you do not need to enter a new IP address for each wireless network you sync with.
This is a very cool, if undocumented, feature of Bonjour. (Believe I looked everywhere to see how this works. Only olivetoast/Files documents this process!!!)

This is indeed a great undocumented feature. After you mentioned this yesterday I went online and read about it. Still could not find a way to get the device name programmatically, but that can probably be done if I implement bonjour support on the conduit, or on the device. In the meantime, the rules are that if there is an apostrophe in your device name, skip it, and if there is a space, use a dash (-) instead. So my address is:
http://daves-iphone.local:8080

Very cool and thanks for sharing this tip with the rest of us!
dhaupert

Postby lagunacreek » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:55 pm

I again encountered the same issue of Vista adding the -n (eg lagunacreek.local to lagunacreek-2.local) after rebooting. I thought at first that the new HanDBase desktop might be the culprit, but I don't see how if it doesn't use Bonjour. But, coincidently on the day before Windows automatic updates installed:
Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x86 (KB963707)
(Note: automatic updates also apparently will install a "Hot Fix". I have now turned off automatic updates in the hope that this will not happen again.)
Meanwhile, if you want to retain this functionality, I strongly suggest not installing the above update and/or hot fix.
EDIT: after three reboots of the PC and a reboot of the network it is still working. See note above. I had to delete the "Hot Fix" to repair this again. Apparently Microsoft sees this as a security hole. Perhaps I am fighting a loosing battle.
For whatever reason, this only affects Windows network mapping not the iPhone clients that specifically use Bonjour, such as Apple Remote and Apple AirPort. Now there's a shocker. If anyone has a different experience with .NET let me know.
Finally, just to make things more challenging, there seems to be no way to determine what address Vista is using for Bonjour for external devices.
lagunacreek

Return to HanDBase for Windows