Mac OS and the iPhone

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Mac OS and the iPhone

Postby rirvin » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Hello

I really tried to deduce the big list with check marks and star notes to figure out whether or not HanDBase will do what I need it to.

I want to use it on an iPhone to fill out a checklist on a regular basis, then have it push the data over a wireless network to store it on a Mac OS X computer, 10.4 or later of course. The conduit option mentions bidirectional, which is unavailable with OS X. I would also like to use forms to make the checklist user friendly, since it will be used on an hourly basis, 24 hours a day. I see that the OS X software can be purchased at the Professional level for creating Forms, but then there is a confusing note about the iPhone not supporting Forms at this time. Forms are not absolutely necessary but I don't want to use a Windows machine for storing the data.

I am researching this for the company I work for, and would like to test the functionality before purchasing the software. Please clear up my confusion.

Thank you

- Ron
rirvin

Re: Mac OS and the iPhone

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:30 am

rirvin wrote:Hello

I really tried to deduce the big list with check marks and star notes to figure out whether or not HanDBase will do what I need it to.

I want to use it on an iPhone to fill out a checklist on a regular basis, then have it push the data over a wireless network to store it on a Mac OS X computer, 10.4 or later of course. The conduit option mentions bidirectional, which is unavailable with OS X.

The conduit for Mac is indeed bidirectional. Did something on our site say it wasn't? If so, that's likely outdated and needs an update. We released the bi-directional mac conduit for iPhone in April. Please take a look at HanDBase Plus as there is a demo version of the conduit so you can try and see if it meets your needs. We do sync over wifi, but you must be on the same local router/network.

I would also like to use forms to make the checklist user friendly, since it will be used on an hourly basis, 24 hours a day. I see that the OS X software can be purchased at the Professional level for creating Forms, but then there is a confusing note about the iPhone not supporting Forms at this time. Forms are not absolutely necessary but I don't want to use a Windows machine for storing the data.

The custom Forms features are only available on select platforms at this time: Palm OS, Windows Mobile Classic/Professional, Windows Mobile Standard and Windows desktops. The iPhone will likely be next to get this functionality and the Mac OS desktop as well. These are planned upgrades for their respective products, but as of now, not an option for iPhone or Mac.

Hope that clears things up a bit!
I am researching this for the company I work for, and would like to test the functionality before purchasing the software. Please clear up my confusion.

Thank you

- Ron[/quote]
dhaupert

Re: Mac OS and the iPhone

Postby rirvin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:40 pm

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/handbase_specs.html

The HanDBase Desktop Conduit option receives no checks on this page for either of the Mac OS versions.

You've cleared everything up well, I'm looking forward to using the program! =D
rirvin

Return to HanDBase for Mac