HanDBase API Updated for 4.0?

This forum is for application developers who are integrating HanDBase into their solutions via the HanDBase API (HAPI) or other means. It's also a great place to discuss runtime development.

HanDBase API Updated for 4.0?

Postby Boscovec » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Still using HanDBase 3.75 on a Treo 755p. All my apps are reliant on 3.x. Still use Pocket Report and Hot Paw Basic. Purchased 4.0 but only used one week becasue of incompatibility with other apps. As the Palm OS is basically dead, I don't expect much. Recently ditched my 650 after losing data just too many times and went to the 755p. I known that I am holding on to the past, but deliberately went to the 755p to avoid change. Just seeing how long I can dodge change.

Dave
-----------------------------
Boscovec
Boscovec

Re: HanDBase API Updated for 4.0?

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:57 am

I know Pocket Reports has been long forgotten by the developer, and I am not sure if HotPaw basic is being actively developed or not. Both would need a new recompile with some header information for accessing HanDBase 4.0.

In the case of Pocket Report, HanDBase Reporter is a worthwhile replacement to consider. Adds much more functionality over PocketReport and better control over the output of the reports. It's an add-on available on our web site.

Palm OS is in a currently strange place- we are one of very few developers actively supporting it these days.
dhaupert

Postby Boscovec » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Dave;

Thanks for the reply. I purchased Reporter and the Bachmann Printboy Software and adapter from them. Used it a few times, but just to have the paper output capability. Haven't used it in some time.

You had mentioned it might be possible to easily generate text using Reporter as it's output was html.

That is probably a dead end, too.
Boscovec
Boscovec

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:26 am

Boscovec wrote:Dave;

You had mentioned it might be possible to easily generate text using Reporter as it's output was html.

That is probably a dead end, too.

The way we interface with Bachman PrintBoy is that we generate a file called Spool.HTM and pass that to the PrintBoy program. But I believe after they handle it, the file is deleted.
dhaupert

Postby Boscovec » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:18 pm

Dave;

Is there a way I could snag that spool.htm file to use it for what I have described in the past and not have it deleted?

Could it be as simple as using reporter to output that file, find it, and extract what I need?

Dave P
Boscovec
Boscovec

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:02 am

I think it's possible we can write an option when running a report to save as HTML as opposed to passing to the printer. This is something I'll add to our possible features list for a future version. I just haven't had a lot of requests for such a thing at this point!
dhaupert

Postby Boscovec » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Dave;

Thanks for the reply. A while ago (years) when originally posting this to the Yahoo group, you had tactfully described this "need" of mine as a select one. At the time, I thought "everyone would want this this". But after the reply, it became obvious if everyone had, you'd have said that.

As one of the faithful Palm developers, I have felt well served over the years by your products and I am grateful you have made such a useful product and have had tireless loyalty to your users. If only all developers had your principles!

Just wish there was an easier way for me to go about this. The short term lead me to using Progect because I can use it to generate reports, but the better interface for entering the information, is hands down HanDBase. I got the Pocket Report thing down pat, but I have to have so many individual templates to generate the report, that is now fairly time consuming.

Well I guess it will be back to playing with Hot Paw again. I have actually progressed on the learning curve and have generated the beginning of the reports I wanted, but time is the hampering factor, to keep going. The job is demanding and the family wants my time too. Family is first and I have the household to support, so that's where my time goes.

Everyone has some version of this usually in their lives. The Lord blessed me with an awesome spouse, family, and extended family. And really, those are the things that make or break your life and matter the most in the big picture. So that's where the time goes and I will make a little here and there for other things.

Thanks for the time you took to reply,

Dave
Boscovec
Boscovec

Return to HanDBase - Developers