Cascading lists for a quick order browser program.

This forum is for application developers who are integrating HanDBase into their solutions via the HanDBase API (HAPI) or other means. It's also a great place to discuss runtime development.

Cascading lists for a quick order browser program.

Postby mpatton » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:52 pm

I need an order browser with a three-deep cascading list for 272 engineers to quickly locate orders pertaining to their product development.

No data entry, just a three-deep tree structure to go to a short list of orders.

The entry into the order browser program will be at the top level, the "Product" level. It is a list of twelve items.

The engineer will click on the desired "Product" in the list and that click will automatically rewrite the screen to show him a second list of "Components" for the selected "Product". Each selected "Product" has a different "Component" list.

The engineer will click on the desired "Component" and that click will automatically rewrite the screen to show him a third list of "Subcomponents" for the selected "Component". Each selected Product+Component has a different "Subcomponent" list.

When the engineer selects the desired subcomponent he may (1) see a Form that will allow him to page forward and back through a series of perhaps 20 orders, or (2) see a list of the 20 orders and when he clicks on a particular order in the list he will go to a form with additional order information.

What DB topology and controls will be required using HanDBase?

I tried this about three years ago, but without Forms or queries it was impossible to create.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Can Forms provide me with what is in effect, a three level deep filtering cability?

[Note: if the above is confusing, it may be useful to think of this as a geographic browser where the user first selects a State, then a City (in that state), then a Zipcode (in that city), and then sees a list of DB entries ONLY for things in the selected State/City/Zipcode.]
mpatton

Re: Cascading lists for a quick order browser program.

Postby dhaupert » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:26 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. I get exactly what you're saying. It's come up in the past as well with other customers. Unfortunately the forms interface won't really help in this regard- it's designed for presenting the data for a single record not the list of records.

HanDBase has a facility for a tree popup selection, where you can select in the fashion you describe. The limitation is that it is limited to the max number of popups in a list, which is 60 currently and that the list is hard coded, not dynamically part of a table.

Additionally I have seen some users implement a workaround to this with some creative design. For example, the form could have 12 buttons, one for each product. Pressing those buttons launches the db popup to a certain table. (ie, each product has a different list of components). Then the last mile is accomplished through the quick search facility- you set the Component field as the quick search field. As the user enters the component name in the quick search field, only the subcomponents for that field are shown to be selected. It's not a perfect solution but it's about all we have if you need more than 60 total items in the tree.

Hopefully in the future HanDBase can provide a solution for this that is baked in to the program.
dhaupert

Re: Cascading lists for a quick order browser program.

Postby mpatton » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks for the response. I'll dummy something up. If it is intuitive enough I may be able to get them to use it. Maybe yes. Maybe no. We'll see.
mpatton

Return to HanDBase - Developers