HanDBase 4.1.5 Known Bugs

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

HanDBase 4.1.5 Known Bugs

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi All,

HanDBase 4.1.5 was released as a development version a few weeks back. We've been trying to duplicate and verify a few issues that have been reported. Here's what we have so far:

Tapping a HanDBase file in File Explorer launches HanDBase, but the database does not load. Instead, it launches to where it left off before.

Popup menu's, which were being drawn in a corrupted manner on certain Windows Mobile 6 VGA devices in prior versions were fixed in this 4.1.5 release, but on certain phones, the menu is still be drawn in a corrupted form.
Status: We're not sure why this problem happens, but are trying to determine which devices the 4.1.5 version fixed, and which ones have problems. Please report to us (by replying to this topic with your device and OS info) if you have verified this fixed or still there on your device.

Sorry about these issues- I'll be updating this article as new issues are reported as well as posting updates as separate postings in this thread. The first post in this thread will be kept up to date, however.
dhaupert

Re: HanDBase 4.1.5 Known Bugs

Postby zooguy1492 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:46 pm

I still have this problem on my HTC Touch Pro with WM 6.1. Not sure how I can verify that the handheld has the update but i did (try to) install it.
zooguy1492

Postby zooguy1492 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:20 pm

Anything new on this problem?
zooguy1492

Postby dhaupert » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:40 pm

zooguy1492 wrote:Anything new on this problem?

I'm kind of at a loss on the popup menu problem. It seems to be a general incompatibility with Windows Mobile on VGA devices. I have checked with all of the microsoft documentation and there is nothing I can really change beyond compiling with the latest SDKs which was what the first development version had.

At this point, the only options I have are:

1. Keep things the way they are- probably not a great option!

2. Make a preference to have popup values go to their own separate dialog with a list box instead of a real popup dialog. This should fix the problem, though won't be as convenient or enjoyable as the current solution when used on devices that don't have this issue.

What do you all think about option #2? It wouldn't be an easy solution to code for, so I'd want to know that it satisfies most everyone with this issue!
dhaupert

Postby zooguy1492 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:26 pm

FYI: I also have the same problem with the "menu" item when I am viewing my device in landscape mode. When I do this there is small vertical size causing the menu to have up/down arrows and navigation with them causes the menu to get messed up just like it does for the Popup items.

If this were a "bug" in the SDK, then I assume you should see this in other applications. Correct?
zooguy1492

Postby zooguy1492 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:16 pm

When will this menu problem be fixed on my HTC Touch Pro?
zooguy1492

Postby dhaupert » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:46 am

Hi there,

Thanks for checking in. Unfortunately it does not appear to be fixable on our end and would require a patch from HTC. They have done things to the core functionality of menus which caused several problems in our project. I have tried and worked with a few customers with various test versions and unfortunately can't find a workaround other than breaking up the popup menu to be it's own screen.

A workaround is if you have more than a screenful of options, to use our nesting popups- you can set levels for popups so that you see a hierarchy like this:

Chevy
Suburban
Corvette
Volt
Ford
F-150
Focus
Toyta
Camry
Prius
etc.

thus, instead of showing all popups on one screen, you will see Chevy, Ford, and Toyota first, and then when tapping one, will see the choices for that option only. It's an effective way to manage large lists in many cases, and since you can keep larger lists from scrolling past a single screen, it's a suitable workaround in most cases.

I'd love to be wrong about the issue and it be something we can work around, but HTC does not have any sort of developer support program and at this point I've tried all I can!
dhaupert

Postby Avi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:28 am

Hi Dave,

you wrote

A workaround is if you have more than a screenful of options, to use our nesting popups- you can set levels for popups so that you see a hierarchy like this:

I've always wanted to be able to use nested popups, and can't seem to find where it's set or how to do it. I'm looking on the Windows desktop app, in DB properties and looking at one of my fields of type "popup". Can you please describe how to find my way through the menus to set it up?

TIA
-avi
Avi

Postby zooguy1492 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:24 pm

dhaupert wrote:Hi there,

Thanks for checking in. Unfortunately it does not appear to be fixable on our end and would require a patch from HTC. They have done things to the core functionality of menus which caused several problems in our project.

I'd love to be wrong about the issue and it be something we can work around, but HTC does not have any sort of developer support program and at this point I've tried all I can!
Why don't I have this menu problem with any other application running on my HTC Touch Pro? In particular, I've written a Windows Mobile 5.0 application using VS 2008 and it doesn't have this problem.
zooguy1492

Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional