Vote for the Features you want most in HanDBase for Android

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Vote for the Features you want most in HanDBase for Android

Postby dhaupert » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying out a service called UserVoice which lets me set up a forum (on a different site) where you can vote for the feature you most want developed in HanDBase for Android. I'm leaving the slate blank so you can come up with the features yourself! You get 10 points and can assign all 10 to one feature, or split it amongst the features that interest you.

This is really only a trial of the service so I don't know long term how things will work out, but thought it would be a neat thing to experiment with!

Here's the link:

http://ddhsoftware.uservoice.com/forums/86569-general
dhaupert

Re: Vote for the Features you want most in HanDBase for Andr

Postby stevemowbray » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:42 am

I only seem to be able to give up to 3 votes to each item. Maybe I'm being stupid...
stevemowbray

Postby dhaupert » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:29 am

You have a total of 10 points, so you can distribute them however you want. Perhaps you used up a bit too much on each of them to be able to vote for any others?
dhaupert

Postby stevemowbray » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:39 am

No, I have 10 points remaining. I click on Vote for any one item and I get a box that has the choice of either "1 vote", "2 votes" or "3 votes".
stevemowbray

Postby dhaupert » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:58 pm

Hmm, seeing the same thing. I guess they changed the functionality since I tried it for another site/app. I would much prefer that people could weight all of their votes to one thing if it's that important to them!
dhaupert

Postby m-mike » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:07 pm

I vote 3 times for Form, report, and Wi-fi sync. 1 vote for copy record between DB.

I tried to give the Form function 10 votes, but it did not work.

Being using the Form function from Palm to WM, I found that it is really hard using Handbase on Android without it.
m-mike

Postby JoeH » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:31 am

I'm just going to post this here instead of starting a new thread and / or adding to other threads. First off, I have come from the Palm OS reluctantly at first, and I wasn't initially aware that HanDBase existed for Android. A search for database in the marketplace did not have HanDBase come up. It was only with a google search of alternatives for handbase on android that I came to realize that this existed. I was first a bit nervous about the Android version with what I read here and in other places, as if it was left behind badly. I was pleasantly surprised that it was a very workable solution for me - not up to what I was used to, but very usable. So thanks to the crew for the state that its currently in.

That said, I looked through the link here, and there are definitely some things that would move it up a notch or two. I will say, forms is high on the list for me, but i didn't actually vote for it. I feel that the edit view in Android is much more sharp looking and functional with the finger drag than the Palm OS version, and know how much work it would be to add the functionality, and didn't vote since it will happen when it's ready to happen, regardless of the votes. I have changed my databases to take into account the lack of forms (instead of 15 check boxes for movie categories, I have 2 drop down selections with all 15 categories listed, and just pick from there), and that's helped quite a bit. Although I still do miss the ease and quickness of a well laid out form!

So, there were a couple things that I listed.

1) Checkbox in list view: the font size seems 1/3 the size of the check box. I would really like to see more items on the screen at once, but with the check box so large, a third of the data will actually fit on the screen. I'd love to see that linked to the font size so I see more data.

2) The bar for changing the column width: this really drives me nuts on my device, as I cannot get the width fine tuned as my finger just can't drag that sucker properly. Having a + / - button to press to increase and decrease would be helpful, or a bar to actually grab. Not sure what would be best, but it seems to take me minutes to just change the width properly!!

Voted for:

1) Move / Copy records to other databases - I didn't realize how much I actually performed that in Palm OS.

2) Allow column widths to change in edit view - Some fields take up 4-5 lines for me, and I'd love that more condensed!

Wanted to negative vote for:

1) Column separator in list view: originally I thought this was a good idea, but I actually prefer having no separator now. Would probably get used to it again, but like the lack of lines now!

Thanks again for having this available for Android, and I look forward to any improvements that you bring out this summer.
JoeH

Postby curtterp » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi Joe

One thing that jumped out at me on your post. You said that you thought that Android was left behind with the amount of features than the other platforms. It is really the newborn of all the platforms, thus has the least amount of features implemented vs the Palm which is really the grandfather of HanDBase platforms. :D

Dave actually explains the reasoning why the amount of features are limited on a new platform release really well here

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1549

Dave does has plans for more features on Android, but nothing has been set in stone yet (at least he has not said anything publicly on the forum here).

there are a few features that I miss from my Palm/Windows Moblie days, but the Android version works for me for now.

Enjoy
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby JoeH » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Looks like I was a bit off in my LONG post above! I wanted to say that I was worried about it being left behind based on what I had read, but after using it, I found it to be much better than I feared! The benefits of the android system more than make up for the features lost from the Palm OS version.

Thanks for the words,
Joe

curtterp wrote:Hi Joe

One thing that jumped out at me on your post. You said that you thought that Android was left behind with the amount of features than the other platforms. It is really the newborn of all the platforms, thus has the least amount of features implemented vs the Palm which is really the grandfather of HanDBase platforms. :D

Dave actually explains the reasoning why the amount of features are limited on a new platform release really well here

http://ddhsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1549

Dave does has plans for more features on Android, but nothing has been set in stone yet (at least he has not said anything publicly on the forum here).

there are a few features that I miss from my Palm/Windows Moblie days, but the Android version works for me for now.

Enjoy
JoeH

Postby handfox » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:33 am

I feel kind of stupid....I thought in the screenshots of it that those were android phones, and so I thought that Android had reports. I woudn't have bought handbase otherwise ><

I know that the developer says that forms are not on his plate....are reports??? ><

I'm only out less than $30 dollars for the desktop version and the Android...but man, I really hope that we can get at least reports going....single reason I even bought the software. I *knew* forms weren't available, I guess maybe they go hand in hand? I'm never going to have an Iphone and well...anyway...just really disappointed I suppose.
handfox

Next

Return to HanDBase for Android