Transfer between databases?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Transfer between databases?

Postby cattaylor » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:14 pm

I have two checking accounts and have set up a database for each. I would like to be able to transfer amounts between them, but cannot figure out how to do it. Is this even possible using HanDBase?

Thanks.
cattaylor

Re: Transfer between databases?

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:57 am

cattaylor wrote:I have two checking accounts and have set up a database for each. I would like to be able to transfer amounts between them, but cannot figure out how to do it. Is this even possible using HanDBase?

Thanks.

That's a great question- typically in the application you're using, a field called 'account' is done within the same table so it's easy to assign a transaction between either account. Since they are the same table, you're just reassigning the value of a field, and then your filters/view settings always show one account or another so the transactions make sense.

The added benefit of doing things that way is that you can easily have a third view that aggregates both accounts, in case you wanted that.

In your case, I can see why you wanted to keep things separate. As of now the iPhone HanDBase does not have a Copy Record(s) to another database feature. We offer that feature on the desktop version as well as a few of the other handheld platforms. No reason we can't add it to the iPhone version in the future, if the demand is there for it!

In the short term, perhaps you can consider the desktop version for those instances you wish to copy or move a record to another database.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch