Date formats

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Date formats

Postby eheffa » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Hello Dave et al,

I am using HanDBase to keep track of my billings in my Anesthesia practice. I seem to have several different dating formats appearing in my submissions etc & want to try and be more consistent with the date formats across several applications.

HanDBase only allows a limited number of formats of Numeric dating. Unfortunately, here in Canada & the rest of the world 04/02/2011 could be either be the 04 Feb 2011 (most of the world) or it could be April 02, 2011 in the USA. (Here in Canada both formats get used as we are often using US based software.It is quite confusing.) With either the dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy formats, the reader has no way of knowing the intent of the writer unless they have access to more information. (Let's not even mention the even more ridiculous formats of dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy where 02/10/11 could mean three different dates.) Therefore, neither of these formats is properly unambiguous. The only unequivocal numeric date format in use is yyyy/mm/dd as no-one has ever apparently promoted the bonehead idea of interchanging the months & days. This format is unfortunately not available to us as HanDBase users.

Is there any way the developers could add this option to the dating format?

Thanks

-evan
eheffa

Re: Date formats

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:25 pm

Hello Evan,

Thanks for posting. I've discussed this issue (or one very similar) with Dave in the past. Right now he is planning to leave HanDBase to interpret the default date format for the region your computer / handheld is set to. Of course, this may change in the future but I'm afraid for the time being you'll have to rely on either DD/MM/YYYY or MM/DD/YYYY.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Re: Date formats

Postby eheffa » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:37 am

Thanks Brian,

I appreciate your quick response to my question and I suppose i have to be content with the answer. That is an unfortunate state of affairs as it means that HanDBase doesn't play nice with the rest of my system. I can't get FM Pro to convert these dd/mm/yyyy dates at this point but will keep working on it. (I am using FM Pro to convert the HanDBase output into PDF's to send to the billing secretaries.) I guess I could go the whole way & switch my handheld to FM Go but I am a little attached to my HanDBase iPhone app as it works well & I'm not sure that I want to have rewrite all my fee code databases etc.

Anyways, if you ever have a chance to add that functionality i.e the ability to have yyyy/mm/dd formats, I would appreciate it as would many conforming to what is essentially the new ISO standard.

-evan
eheffa

Return to HanDBase for Mac