Convert Form to Database

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

Convert Form to Database

Postby cenzer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:17 am

How can I convert a Form to a Database?

I want to use the Form on an Android -- which doesn't handle at this time forms.
Thank you.

Charles
cenzer

Re: Convert Form to Database

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi Charles,

The data isn't stored in the form file. All the form file contains is information about what UI element to place where, so to speak. The data is stored in the database file itself, which can indeed be installed to the Android device. You'll find that if you have a set of databases named "test.pdb" and "test_HDF.pdb" (the form file) you will only need to install "test.pdb" to the Android device.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby cenzer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:45 pm

Dear Brian:

How can I sum a column of selected records in Database A into a field in Database B?
Thank you.

Charles
cenzer

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:09 am

Hi Charles,

Thanks for following up. In theory you should be able to do the following, but I haven't tested it recently (I seem to think I did it in the past):

1. Add a calculated field that adds the value of the integer/float field to the previous value of the current calculated field. This will create a running total, much like you would expect in a checkbook ledger but in the reverse (checkbook balances seem to get smaller, don't they!). Then use a relationship to pull in the value from the last field in the calculated field column. It will pull it in as plain text, so if you need to use it in any calculations you'll need to add another calculated field to your main database that multiplies the value times 1 and returns it as an integer or float value.

Hope this helps!
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional