application environment

This forum is for application developers who are integrating HanDBase into their solutions via the HanDBase API (HAPI) or other means. It's also a great place to discuss runtime development.

application environment

Postby dezicell » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:52 am

I am developing a Microsoft Access application for a landscaping company and would like to communicate with the field teams using an ipod touch. The goal is to synch directly between access tables and the ipod. I purchased Handbase professional because the product comparison indicated a synch with Access. As I look a little deeper into the doucmentation it appears that direct synch with Access is for the windows smartphone type environment. When I look for the Handbase Synch Exchange for Access I dont find this program in my Handbase programs. There is a synchronization program but I dont know if this does the job or this is for synchronization between the Handbase desktop and the handheld. In addition I cant get any type of synch to work. I dont know if this is related to the ios 5 problem but I dont think so because I cant get that far in the process. I have three db's I created on the desktop that I transferred to the handheld but the edits on the handheld dont synch with the desktop. There seems to be a basic synch setup problem. Either the synch cant obtain the user from the ipod or the synch setup process hangs.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

John
dezicell

Re: application environment

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for writing. The HanDBase Professional for iOS addon for Windows does indeed come with Sync Exchange for syncing with Access and Data Exchange for manual conversions. You will find these components at Start Menu - All Programs - HanDBase 4 - Tools.

After the initial setup of syncing between the iPod Touch and HanDBase Desktop, I'd recommend reviewing the steps below to set up your databases for syncing with Sync Exchange:

HOW TO SET UP SYNCING WITH ACCESS:

1. Open Data Exchange, found at Start Menu -> All Programs ->
HanDBase 4 -> Tools
2. Choose to convert from Access to HanDBase
3. Select your Access database, select the table to convert and enter
the full path of the HanDBase database to be created. For example,
use C:\test.pdb. Then click Export.
4. Open the newly created HanDBase database in HanDBase Desktop.
5. Delete all of the records, save your changes and install the
database to the iOS device.

Then you will want to set up the Sync Exchange entry:

To configure a custom Sync Exchange entry for your database, please
use the following steps to set it up:

1. In HanDBase Desktop, select the Configure -> iOS Users menu option.
2. Select the Edit Sync Settings option.
3. Select the database in question on the left side of the dialog.
4. Uncheck the option to use default sync settings in the upper right corner.
5. Check the box to sync with Access / ODBC at the lower right corner
of the dialog.
6. Click the Settings button.
7. Configure the database to sync with the Access database and table.
You can also set up any field mapping that is needed.

Hope this helps. Give it a try and let me know if you run into any problems.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dezicell » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:55 am

Hello Brian:
Thanks for the quick response. I am following your instructions down to the point of configuring synch exchange. I do not have any databases listed in the databases section of this screen. Never have seen anything in this box except default. There are files listed below in the share area. What do I have to do to get databases to show up in this box?

John
dezicell

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:02 am

Hi John,

Thanks for following up. First, I wouldn't add anything to the shared box except for files that have a need to by synced with multiple users. If you don't fit into that category, click on the file in the shared section and click the delete settings button in the upper right corner.

Then, you will first want to install the database(s) to your handheld. Do this by opening a file in HanDBase Desktop, select File -> Install, choose your partnership, click OK, close the database and repeat for all files you wish to install. Then you will want to sync, assuming you have set up the partnership. This will install the databases. Now, please keep in mind that there is a bug introduced by iOS 5 that is causing large databases to fail upon syncing, so this part might not work for you if you are using iOS 5 and large files. The fix is being tested right now, and hopefully we will be able to submit it to Apple early next week.

With that said (hopefully I mentioned it before) after the files have been synced you will see them listed in the column at the left side of the dialog and can then proceed to make your sync exchange partnerships.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby dezicell » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:36 am

Hello Brian:

No joy. I believe I followed your instructions to the letter but first I deleted all databases on the handheld. Then I deleted all other databases on the desktop except for the one I created via your instructions earlier thismorning. There are currently no records in this database. I then opened the db on the desktop then file Install. Opened the config/synch menu item click on the user then clicked on the sync at the bottom, opened my web browser to the address on the ipod, selected the db and saw the status on the ipod files were transferred. Can now see the db on the ipod. Then went to the synch settings and there are still no databases listed in the databases area, only the word default.
When I click on the synch button and then open the browser to the specified addr and the files synch, the dialog box with the synch progress never closes and seems to hang. I have to use windows to close this dialog. If I dont use windows to close the dialog, when I click the synch settings then it hangs. Dont know if this is the cause of my problems or not.

Sorry for being such a dunce on what should be a simple matter.

John
dezicell

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:42 am

Hello John,

Thanks for following up. First, when uploading a database via the web interface (Desktop Connect) it won't show in the sync settings dialog within HanDBase Desktop until a sync has been performed.

Now, in regards to the actual sync itself, I hope I mentioned earlier and apologize if I didn't that there is as issue with iOS 5 that is preventing the sync from working properly when using the current build. It seems to affect databases over a few hundred kilobytes in size.

We are testing an update that works around this issue. So far it is going really well. Assuming everything checks out in testing we will submit the update to Apple for approval early this week.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby dezicell » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:49 am

Hello Brian:
I dont know if the known sync issue with IOS5 is my problem. I am trying to sync a single db with no records and I cannot get through a successful initial download. The db winds up on the handheld but something in the process is not completing because the sync progress dialog will not go away. The log indicated something about errors in removing images? I have to use windows to close the dialog. Then when I try to go to sync settings I get the message cant get the user name from the ipod.

Now I have a new problem. Since I am not dealing with many records (known problem with ios) I felt there was a basic issue in the program and uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Now the message comes up the 30 days has expired and is forcing me to your website to purchase the program. I cant get in to reenter my license key.

John
dezicell

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:37 am

Hello John,

The sync is probably failing because the conduit can't handle the size of the sample image files.

Please email me at support @ ddhsoftware . com with the email you used when purchasing so I can look up your account login details.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase - Developers