News on 4.8.1 Syncing Bug

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: News on 4.8.1 Syncing Bug

Postby Max » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:08 am

Um, Dave, this may be just simple hysteria, but it's apparently giving the aviation community fits. Here's a caution from the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association--for whatever it might be worth:

iOS5 update troubles
October 21, 2011 by Ian J. Twombly, Associate Editor

iPad and other Apple device users should take note of a rather odd quirk that can occur after updating the operating system to iOS5. According to multiple application developers, the operating system could delete data, including charts and approach plates, if certain conditions are present.

Essentially the device senses the memory is full, or almost full, and will delete previously saved data if new data is brought in. So, the operating system will now favor new data, instead of rejecting it to preserve old data. For those running ForeFlight, WingX, or any of the other large multipurpose apps, you could lose charting data by bringing in any other additional pieces of data. What’s worse, the device will do this with only a minor indication of what’s happening. A small message that says, “Cleaning” will appear under any app that is currently losing data.

To keep this from happening, simply make sure you have extra space on the device. Most of the multipurpose charting apps run around 7 GB, while Jeppesen’s charting app is around 1 GB. The problem comes from having either multiple aviation apps, or having the device loaded with other big programs.

This issue brings to light an important consideration in using the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch for aviation. Make sure to preflight the apps. After you have downloaded the data you want to use on the flight, disable Wifi and 3G, and open your app. Then scroll through the charts and airport data to make sure you have everything you need. This way you’ll know that what you have actually resides on the device, and that you’re not just streaming it off Wifi. Also, each app should have a list of downloaded charts. Check the list for an additional source of confirmation.

For more information, ForeFlight has a good update on the problem, as does WingX and Readerplates.

Let us know in the comments section if you’ve experienced this problem, or if you have any iOS5 reviews.

The message is dated October 21, but appears in the October 28 AOPA newsletter.
Max

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:20 am

Hi Max,

Thanks for sharing this. Fortunately this isn't affecting HanDBase, but I have read a bit about it and it does appear to be a very real issue. It appears that iOS 5 changes the way that it handles its cache of data for applications. Hopefully a resolution is quick for those people that it does affect and we are really glad that it doesn't seem to be a problem for us.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dhaupert » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:27 pm

Hope you all had a great weekend. I'm happy to report that HanDBase v4.8.2 was just submitted to Apple for approval. This version addresses the syncing bug and a few others, including one with calculated fields, and an issue running on older OS devices (3.1.3). We've tested a bunch with the new conduit code and it seems to be working great. Some testers have noticed that it is also a bit faster- hopefully that's the case for all of you!

We are going to continue testing while Apple reviews it. If we find any issues that are glaring, I may pull the submission and resubmit, but it seems to be working very well thus far.

I want to thank you all again for your support and patience during the last week. It's been tough for us as developers, but I'm sure it's been tough on you as well as users of the product. I hope the new version will alleviate these issues and we can soon get back to work on some new features and enhancements to the HanDBase platform!
dhaupert

Postby Max » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:09 pm

Well done, Dave! We'll all be lurking in the App Store, waiting for it.
Max

Postby minicoop » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:27 am

Way to go Dave and the rest of your team, I think we all had confidence that you would figure it out even though you were concerned at first. I too will be hanging out in the iTunes store for the update, can't wait for this be be working again :D
Irene
minicoop

Postby stentor007 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:22 am

Congratulations! We've counted on you and the team these many years and you continue to be up to the task. Maybe it's time to write a really good database platform for the mac desktop!!!!
stentor007

Postby dhaupert » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:14 am

That's been my dream, candidly! To create a lower cost yet powerful alternative to the hold Filemaker has over the Mac marketplace for databases. I'm just not sure if I would be able to handle the workload while trying to maintain and improve the Android, iPhone, iPad, etc versions. I will definitely continue to improve what the Mac Desktop version can provide and hopefully one day it can be a contender.

Thanks so much for all the kind words of support!
dhaupert

Postby onecoolbaribe » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:41 pm

I am so happy that you are so close to a fix. I love Handbase and my IPhone. But I was happier when it worked right.

Thank you for being so diligent in fixing the 5os problem. It is really appreciated.
onecoolbaribe

Postby jfeathers3 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:44 am

I have an IPOD Touch with HanDBase 4.8.0 installed and have noticed the sync issue after I installed OS5. I have not lost any information as far as I can tell. Just today the 4.8.1 version showed up in my App Store. Do I need to install that update or should I wait until 4.8.2 has been released? I have only recently switched from a Palm TX to the IPOD Touch and I am not familiar with version requirements. Thanks for your great work.
jfeathers3

Postby HAbelman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:48 am

Any word on when, the Update will be available? :)
HAbelman

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch