Converting from Pre to Android

Discuss HanDBase running on various Palm OS devices and synchronization with desktop computers.

Re: Converting from Pre to Android

Postby curtterp » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:47 pm

Good Luck Bruce.....

Remember, after installing HanDBase from the market, run it before you do anything else so it can set up the folder on the Thunderbolt.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby BruceArnold » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:40 pm

Well, whew. Got everything downloaded fine. Ran the client on the Android as directed.

Then, the snag: when I connected as a drive over USB, the computer would hang. Acer netbook, running XP. Rebooted maybe ten times. Finally - d'oh! - I left it connected while the computer rebooted. Magic! From there on, just the tedium of getting 30+ databases - half of them encrypted - ready to sync. Ran HanDBase again on the Thunderbolt, and we are in business.

So, major grrr factor for about a half hour there, but all's well that ends well.

Now, I have a last question. I did not think to sync the Tungsten before going through all that. I have about a week's worth of data there. If I sync it now, and then re-sync the Android, will it all be copacetic? And will things just sync from now on, without opening the file and doing the ctrl F business every time? Thanks.
BruceArnold

Postby curtterp » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:14 am

BruceArnold wrote:~snip~

Now, I have a last question. I did not think to sync the Tungsten before going through all that. I have about a week's worth of data there. If I sync it now, and then re-sync the Android, will it all be copacetic? And will things just sync from now on, without opening the file and doing the ctrl F business every time? Thanks.

Yes this can be accomplished pretty easily. The Palm and Android Databases are located in different folders within the HanDBase folder. You will need to know where the HanDBase 4 is located. It should be located at (C:\Documents and Settings\$USER NAME$\My Documents\HanDBase or HanDBase 4). $USER NAME$ is you login name when you log into your computer

Since you just got your Thunderbolt synced for the first time, there are actually 2 ways you can do it. Are you retiring the Tungsten or do you want to keep the Tungsten going and be able to use both devices when you want?

If you are retiring the Tungsten"
  • Sync the Tungsten
  • Copy the databases from the Palm Folder to the Android Folder (The names of the folder are the user names you gave the Tungsten and the Thunderbolt when you set them up for sync)
  • Open each database in the Thunderbolt folder with the HanDBase desktop, Click on File->Install to HandHeld/Smartphone.
  • Choose the username for the Thunderbolt on each database.
  • For a cleaner installation, delete all the databases on the Thunderbolt. To do this, on the Thunderbolt, go to Apps drawer and press on Files. Navigate to the SD Card->HanDBase folder. Delete all *.PDB files.
  • Hook up the Thunderbolt to the computer, wait for it all to settle down, then sync.
  • Done

If you want to sync between both devices
  • Sync the Tungsten
  • On the HanDBase Desktop, Go to Configure/Sync->Android Users
  • Select your user for the Thunderbolt and click on the 'Edit Sync Setting' Button
  • Bottom Left side click on the 'Create New Shared Database' button
  • Navigate to the Tungsten folder, and select a database
  • Repeat for all your databases
  • Select each database in the list on the bottom left side, and check the settings for each. Usually the defaults work just fine.
  • Done

You can actually set up the Android folder to be the shared database, just reverse the Tungsten and Thunderbolt. I do not have Palm setup on my computer, so I could not walk you though each button. I would actually set up the Tungsten to sync with the Android databases since the Tungsten would be retired first and this would not have an impact later down the road.

If you run into any problems, just post and we can try to help.

Have a good day and good luck
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby BruceArnold » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Worked great. Thanks again for all your help, Curt. This has been a fairly easy transition.

Wow -- after all these years, is this my last post in the Palm Forum? Whoda thunk it?
BruceArnold

Postby curtterp » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:47 pm

Thank Dave for his vision of cross platform database files, along with the tools he did helping us from transitioning from one platform to another, and the tools ability to have different platforms play nice with each other.

I just talked about my experiences going from one to another to another. :D
Have a good day

Curt
curtterp

Postby hivdoc » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:24 am

curt- trying to convert from palm centro to android phone. followed the instructions in your June 15 post. I used the second method (using windows folders and moving files over). now the problem: while using windows I can see that all the files have moved over, on the phone i can only see and open original unused databases that have not been updated or backed up. So I can open the empty database I started with, but not all of my data. The sections i have been using (and therefore most important) don't show up on the android. wierd. any suggestions? do you think the other method (exporting) data would work?
hivdoc

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi,

Are you saying that on Android you're not seeing the files you copied, and only those that were on HanDBase for Android as samples or created by you on the Android device?

If so, perhaps the problem is one of the following:

1. You may need to exit HanDBase and restart so it can scan the HanDBase folder for databases. To do this, in the Choose Database screen, select Menu and then Exit. Now restart
2. Perhaps you are not copying these to the HanDBase folder on the memory card? You said you verified that the files were copied over. What path was it copied to?
dhaupert

Postby hivdoc » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:55 pm

i have restarted app several times. files are not on card, but on phone memory (this phone has a lot) but that is true for all the HDB files. I was using a database called patient palm chart that I bought, which uses HanDbase. It had several directories that came with it (billing codes, lab values) which i never altered, those are fine. I have two versions of the main database. one is the original one as purchased, with all of the data fields and subdirectories but no data. If i install that one it opens fine, but no data. If i move over the backup version with all of the data in it, it doesn't even show up in the root directory for HDB.
hivdoc

Postby curtterp » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:30 pm

hivdoc wrote:i have restarted app several times. files are not on card, but on phone memory (this phone has a lot) but that is true for all the HDB files. I was using a database called patient palm chart that I bought, which uses HanDbase. It had several directories that came with it (billing codes, lab values) which i never altered, those are fine. I have two versions of the main database. one is the original one as purchased, with all of the data fields and subdirectories but no data. If i install that one it opens fine, but no data. If i move over the backup version with all of the data in it, it doesn't even show up in the root directory for HDB.

What Android device do you have?

Which OS is it running?

When you hook up your device to the computer, do you have a drive letter in "My Computer" for the phone?

The database files has to be in the same directory as program. They should be located at mmnt/sdcard/handbase (If your using Astro File manager or another file manager on the Android Device). If they are in any other directory, you will not see the databases from HanDBase.

The reason why I ask for the information of what device you have, that way we know what you have when you have further questions. Also it helps figure out what might be the problem. For instance, devices running Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich and the device doesn't have an SD card, there is not an avenue to sync to the desktop at this time. This is due to the use of a protocol called MTP. Dave is working on a solution for this. Also, the each device manufacturer manages the SD card differently (actually they use USB Mass Storage for any Froyo/Gingerbread Device, but each manufacturer calls it something different, and how to get to that point is different depending on the device manufacturer. With the information, people can help a little better, otherwise there will be assumptions made which could be wrong :D
Have a good day

Curt
curtterp

Postby hivdoc » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:27 pm

database in correct directory, etc. As I said, i can read some databases, not others. when you 'back up' data, does the extension change or somethig? android v 2.3.5, gingerbread. there is a drive number, and then there are two folders: phone and sim card. Handbase stuff was on phone, so that is where I put files. Phone is a samsung Exhibit II 4G
hivdoc

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for Palm OS