Multiple platforms HELP

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Multiple platforms HELP

Postby Fiddlefoot » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:38 am

Hello,
I'm a newby to hb and have an ipad2 and a galaxy s2 (android) phone. I have already purchased hb for the android and ipad2 and have created a database on the iPad. What I can't seem to figure out is what exactly I need to purchase to keep the iPad and android synced to a desktop (not yet purchased since I can't figure out what to buy)
1 are there different desktops for different mobile platforms.
2 if so do I need to buy each for my desktop
3 I use a desktop and notebook ( hope iPad replaces notebook if I get all to work right)
4 desktop is windows 7

Thank you for your help.
Fiddlefoot

Re: Multiple platforms HELP

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:44 am

Hello,

Thanks for writing. For the iPad, you would need a copy of HanDBase Plus for iOS / Windows. You can download a 30 day trial or purchase a license here:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/handbasedesktopwinios.html

The following explains how to set up syncing with iOS and HanDBase:

1. On the handheld, initiate a wifi network connect to the same network your desktop computer is on.
2. Launch HanDBase on the handheld and tap the icon in the lower right corner. A screen will display "Desktop Connect" and a URL in the format of http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080
3. Open HanDBase Desktop on the computer.
4. Select the Configure -> iPhone / iPod Touch Devices menu option.
5. Select the option to Create New Partnership.
6. When prompted, enter the URL from the handheld and allow the first sync to complete.

You should then be able to proceed with regular syncs going through steps one to four. In step five, you would then select the Synchronize option.

Hope this helps to configure the partnership and sync.

Next, in regards to syncing your Samsung Galaxy S II, since that device using MTP instead of Mass Storage you will find that syncing with HanDBase Plus for Android / Windows currently is not supported by us. We are looking into some potential workarounds and hope to have a solution available soon.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Lee-AnneP » Sat May 25, 2013 10:41 pm

I am looking at purchasing this app, however I have some concerns. I realise this post is from some time ago, and maybe there have been some upgrades.
I am wanting to sync an android tablet, iPad and desktop pc all to the one database. Is this possible?
Any info is greatly appreciated.
Lee-AnneP

Postby dhaupert » Sun May 26, 2013 9:40 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Since the date of this post, we did release an update to the Android conduit that allows syncing over local wifi. But the basic pieces of the puzzle remain the same:

You'd need a copy of HanDBase for Android (sold on Google Play store)
HanDBase for iPad (sold on App Store)
HanDBase Plus for iPhone/iPad Add-on - sold via our site
HanDBase Plus for Android Add-on - also sold via our site.

If you purchase the first HanDBase Plus from our site and then log in to download it, an upgrade wizard option along the right will let you buy the Android version at a discount since you already have the iPhone one.

Once you have these, the following article may be of help:
Syncing a Database between Android and iPhone or iPad

Often times you may have a configuration where you have multiple devices and want to sync them together. Our conduits have support for shared databases like this:

And you can easily specify to share a database with another device simply by checking the box to share the device and then selecting the users from the list you want to share to.

But what happens when you want to share a database with another device of a different type? The list box only shows devices of the same type (i.e., those compatible with that particular conduit). So while an iPad user can easily share/sync a database with an iPhone or iPod touch user, one may wonder how they could also share with an Android user. This tutorial will show you just how to set this up!

Setting up the Database for sharing among devices:

It's easiest to have a database that is shared amongst different devices kept in a central location, so there is less confusion about where the synced database is stored on the desktop. It's not a requirement but it is the method we recommend and the one we'll explain in this tutorial.

1. Copy a database file (.PDB) to a central location on your computer. For example, you may put this in My Documents\HanDBase\SharedDBs (a folder you'd create) or on Macs Documents\HanDBase\SharedDB. Locate the file in your user folder (e.g., My Documents\HanDBase\Username) and copy it to the new location you desire.

2. Now Launch the Sync Settings for your Android device first:

3. Choose the option Create Shared DB (Windows) or simply + on Mac.

4. Browse to the location for your shared database and choose it.

5. Click the database listed in Shared Databases.

6. Now select the users you wish to share to that are Android users. By default all Android users will be selected, but you can change this as needed.

7. Now you can save and exit the Android Conduit section and choose Configure|iPhone/iPad/iPod touch users.

Repeat the same steps for the iPhone or iPad user.
8. Choose the Create New Shared database option and browse to the shared location.

9. Click the database listed in Shared Databases.

10. Now select the users you wish to share to that are iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch users. By default all iOS users will be selected, but you can change this as needed.

11. Now you can save and exit the iOS Conduit section.

That's all there is to it! When you sync now, any of the devices will sync to the database you have stored in the shared folder. If the device doesn't already have the database, it will install it to the device on the next sync.

Now, one more item to consider. When you select File|Open, you're given a list of users and the databases in these user's folders are shown in that list. You may be disappointed to notice that you won't see the shared database listed in these lists, because it's not kept in these folders. If you do happen to see it in these folders, don't open it- it's likely the database that predated setting things up for shared sync!

On our Windows version, we offer support for a Custom user type, where you can point to any folder on your drive and give it a name. It's perfect for setting up a User that you can open databases directly from this screen. Here's how:

1. Click on Configure|Other/Custom users

2. Choose the Create New User Button.

3. Give the user a name in User Name. For example, you may want to call it Shared Databases.

4. In the Path to PDB file, browse and select the folder for your Shared DBs from above.

5. In the User Type, select Desktop Only. This will prevent the program from prompting you each time you save to install this database to a device.

Press OK and you are done. Now you should have a user you can select from the File Open screen and see your shared databases.

Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this tutorial. Our support site is here:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/support.html and you can contact us via links on that page.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby RichardB » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:46 am

Hi. This tutorial came in very handy for me, as I've just bought an Android tablet and wanted to share the databases that are already on my iPod. I'm having some issues that I'll raise separate threads about, but I have one question relevant to this thread:

Having created the Shared Databases user (and set up the iPod and Android sync settings), how can I make it appear in the DB Browser by default when I open HanDBase on my PC? At the moment it defaults to the iPod (which now has no databases listed, as intended) and I have to select Shared Databases from the drop-down menu every time.
RichardB

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:10 am

Hi,

Thanks for your post. At this time the DB Browser doesn't remember your last selection so it always defaults to the first item in that generated list. It's a great idea for a future update though- remembering the last selection between launches. I will add that to the list!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby RichardB » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:15 am

Great, that would be much appreciated! While you're at it, I've also noticed the window isn't quite wide enough so I have to drag the right hand side of it to reveal the edge of the Browse button, and this setting isn't remembered either.
RichardB

Return to HanDBase for Windows