Switching Platforms Pam OS to ITouch (maybe)

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Switching Platforms Pam OS to ITouch (maybe)

Postby Mixer1 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:22 am

I Might need to switch from Palm OS an IPhone. Currently I have Pro version 4.1 Build R2 Desktop & Palm. I don't want to but I might not have an option

1. Do you provide a platform switching option? I assume I would need to buy the handheld portion from the Apps store but what about the desktop?
2. I am also switching computers, so best way do this that involves migration onto new computer

Thanks!
Mixer1

Re: Switching Platforms Pam OS to ITouch (maybe)

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Tue May 26, 2009 9:18 am

Hi,

Thanks for asking. You are correct about the handheld portion. Unfortunately we can't discount that since the App Store does not allow coupon codes and such. So we are instead discounting the desktop portion if you have another version of our apps. The way to do this is to log into the Download page: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download

Along the right side is the HanDBase Upgrade Wizard. There is an option to add a version for your iPhone/iPod touch. That's the route to take. Once it's done, you can then download this to your new computer and install it.

As far as getting your databases over there, here's what you'd do:

1. Locate the PDB files on your old computer for HanDBase. Based on your Pro build, they are likely somewhere like here:
c:\program files\palmone\username\HanDBase - where c:\program file\palmone is the path to your Palm Desktop installation and username is an abbreviated version of your Palm's username. Within that folder should be all the databases you had on your Palm. You can transfer them via CD-R, email, etc to your new computer.

In addition, if you have any forms for your databases, they will be here:
c:\program files\palmone\username\backup - where c:\program file\palmone is the path to your Palm Desktop installation and username is
an abbreviated version of your Palm's username. In this folder are a bunch of files- not just HanDBase forms files, so you'll have to manually look through for files that end in _HDF.PDB. Those are the HanDBase forms files. Do the same to get them to your computer, but please note that as of now, the iPhone/iPod touch version does not yet support forms. This is in development though, so keep them handy so when, later this year, the capability is there, you'll have them nearby!

2. To install them to the iPod touch, you'll need to do the following:
Run the HanDBase Desktop. If on Windows, choose Configure and then iPhone/iPod touch users. Create a new user and follow the prompts to complete your first sync. Now close the iPhone/iPod touch user list and use File, Open to open the first file you transferred from your old PC. Choose File, Install to Smartphone/handheld and select your new iPod touch username from the list. Repeat this for all the databases you wish to install and you should be good to go after the next sync.

If you are on Mac, the process is very similar, but instead of Configure, the menu is called Devices.

Hope this helps!

Mixer1 wrote:I Might need to switch from Palm OS an IPhone. Currently I have Pro version 4.1 Build R2 Desktop & Palm. I don't want to but I might not have an option

1. Do you provide a platform switching option? I assume I would need to buy the handheld portion from the Apps store but what about the desktop?
2. I am also switching computers, so best way do this that involves migration onto new computer

Thanks!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby Mixer1 » Sun May 31, 2009 9:46 am

Dave, I made the switch and so far, I'm pleased. The whole sync process was a bit odd - - but I'm seeing that with all non-ITunes apps and add ons. As far as the transfer process, no problem. and the price break was quite generous. Thanks
Mixer1

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:37 am

Mixer1 wrote:Dave, I made the switch and so far, I'm pleased. The whole sync process was a bit odd - - but I'm seeing that with all non-ITunes apps and add ons. As far as the transfer process, no problem. and the price break was quite generous. Thanks

My Pleasure! And yes, probably the biggest limiting factor for us was that we could not hook into iTunes sync (there is no provision to do this) so we had to develop our own. Other than having to initiate on both sides, it's really quite fast, and convenient not to need cables as well!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch