Calculate records in filter or view?

Discuss HanDBase running on various Palm OS devices and synchronization with desktop computers.

Calculate records in filter or view?

Postby glenwf » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:25 pm

I have different views that sort my data various ways. I would like to know how many records are in the current view. This shows up in the bottom of my Windows platform, but on my Palm T5 I don't see any way to find out how many records are in the current view?

Is there a way to display the Filtered ##/## data that shows up in the desktop platform on the bottom of the window, but not on the Palm? I want to see this data somehow on my Palm. Is there a field that can be created that does that?

Second question: would this work on a Mac platform and iPad combination? I don't have a Mac now, but will in the future.

Thanks.
glenwf

Re: Calculate records in filter or view?

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi there,

Hope you don't mind that I moved your topic to the Palm section since it's a better fit for your question. The Palm OS version of HanDBase is one of the only versions that doesn't show a xx/yy on it. The main reason the others do and the Palm ones don't is that the Palm OS database/file format is what HanDBase uses natively. Thus we can read the records we need without having to scan the entire file. So the Palm version can open a 65000 record database actually faster than the latest and fastest iPhone version- in theory it opens the database of any size nearly instantly and only scans for a screenful of data at a time. To be able to provide that xx/yy count we'd have to read the whole thing and the Palm was a bit slow for that sort of thing just for a feature like that. That said, I used the term 'in theory' because later on Palm began using NVFS which actually meant that a larger file would take longer to open since it had to move the database from Flash to RAM before it could open. But at least for many years that was the case!

On the iPad and Mac versions you'll see the same record count you like in the Windows version.

To add something like this to the Palm, you could add a calculated field that has this formula. Let's assume you're putting this in field 10:

Previous Field 10 + 1

Now this will increment by one for every record in the filter range and the last record will thus show the number of records within the filters.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Re: Calculate records in filter or view?

Postby glenwf » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

I tried the calculate method, but couldn't get it to do the calculation without entering into each record in sequence up to the last. I haven't had time to check how a recalculate all is done. If that is possible which I'm sure, then I'm good.
glenwf

Return to HanDBase for Palm OS