Handbase for MAC - OSX-Lion

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Re: Handbase for MAC - OSX-Lion

Postby Javed Shakoor » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:12 am

If you're using Crossover, wouldn't that be the same as using Vmware or Parallels, etc? From what I have read, Crossover is a much more limited piece of software than these other two. And, of course, you would then be using Handbase for Windows.

What I am interested in is to know definitely, before I upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion, whether Handbase for Mac (and ideally also the Wine version) will run under OSX Lion or not. If not, when can we expect ddhsoftware to make the necessary changes in both versions of Handbase for Mac.
Javed Shakoor

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:38 am

Javed Shakoor wrote:If you're using Crossover, wouldn't that be the same as using Vmware or Parallels, etc? From what I have read, Crossover is a much more limited piece of software than these other two. And, of course, you would then be using Handbase for Windows.

I believe they are replying to the direct question someone asked of whether HanDBase for Windows would run in Crossover on Lion. It seems the original topic has taken a slight tangent! That said, Crossover is very much different than Vmware or Parallels as those tools actually run Windows on your Mac through virtualization. Besides buying Parallels or VmWare you have to purchase and install a copy of Windows on your Mac within the virtual partition set up. Crossover requires no such change so it much cheaper and easier to install. It runs a variant of WINE which is where Windows system calls are directly replaced with appropriate Mac ones, so that is why it does not need Windows. That said, many apps are not compatible with Crossover whereas nearly every Windows app is compatible with Windows running through the others. So that's why people tend to ask about Crossover rather than just assume it works. Thankfully HanDBase doesn't have any issues running under Crossover.

What I am interested in is to know definitely, before I upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion, whether Handbase for Mac (and ideally also the Wine version) will run under OSX Lion or not. If not, when can we expect ddhsoftware to make the necessary changes in both versions of Handbase for Mac.

HanDBase for Mac is running on Lion, but as you can see above there are some users with issues. We are working on figuring out why certain users have issues and others don't and hopefully will have a fix in place soon. In fact, just yesterday I created a test version to help track down what could be going wrong, so we are working on this!
dhaupert

Postby Javed Shakoor » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:55 am

After much trepidation, having read on this forum that a number of users were having problems running Handbase for Mac under OSX Lion, I finally decided to take the plunge and upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion on my iMac. I am happy to report that everything worked just fine after the upgrade. Handbase shows the databases as before and I was also able to wirelessly sync with both my iPhone and iPad. The WINE version, of course, has stopped working. The application opens but no databases show up. This does create a problem with bulk updates to databases, especially relational ones. These will now have to be done on the iPad, which has a more usable keyboard than the iPhone.

Just thought I'd let you guys know about my experience.
Javed Shakoor

Postby kdlempert » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:40 am

Any compatibility issues with Mountain Lion I should know before I update my OS? I sync my iPod touch with desk top.
kdlempert

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:02 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately we haven't updated to Mountain Lion yet. Hopefully one of us will be able to in the near future so we can determine compatibility.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Previous

Return to HanDBase for Mac