OS 7

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

OS 7

Postby palomartian » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:47 am

Has anyone tested on this? Results?

Edit: if you can point me to a 9900 stimulator I'll test it myself. I don't need a grip of functionality, just the ability to read and search my DBs. Anyone try a MS Access DB reader? That may be the next logical move for me.
palomartian

Re: OS 7

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Hello,

Based on the user reports we have had, it works. Unfortunately we don't have a Blackberry OS 7 device to confirm on, though. You can load the OTA demo version by opening the following link in your Blackberry's browser:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/files-demo/B ... nDBase.jad

Note that this is the handheld part. Access databases require conversion on the desktop and syncing, using functionality found in the Professional package.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby palomartian » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks! Got it moved from my 9800 to my 9900. Working fine. With luck this one will keep me happy until a keyboard equipped, Android flogging QNX BB is released.
palomartian

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks for the update.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby JAK-9810 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 am

Gidday Brian & All

Brian_Houghton wrote:Hello,

Based on the user reports we have had, it works. Unfortunately we don't have a Blackberry OS 7 device to confirm on, though. You can load the OTA demo version by opening the following link in your Blackberry's browser:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/files-demo/B ... nDBase.jad

Note that this is the handheld part. Access databases require conversion on the desktop and syncing, using functionality found in the Professional package.

I have it running on a Torch 9810 and the desktop part is running on my WinXP SP3 main workstation.

The only problem is that the desktop DB is not being updated when I make changes on the Blackberry.
This is not a very great worry to me, as the Blackberry scheduled backups should take care of that aspect. Most of my databases are on my device, and I really don't need to access them on the desktop (except when one's PDA has a swim ... ).
Drag & drop should be adequate.
Where are the databases stored on the Blackberry

However, the sync failure may be due to my fault, rather than that of the s/w.
I have not re-booted the Blackberry at this stage.

I am also operating on a trial version, as wanted to ensure that it COULD function to at least a basic extent before laying out hard, cold cash for something that didn't work at all on my system.

Your link and info above allowed me to install the Blackberry Client side s/w, which enabled the Desktop side to recognise the Blackberry. The push system from the Desktop s/w did not work. Nor did Blackberry Deskyop recognise the s/w as there for installation.

All this became necessary because my Palm Tungsten E2 went for a short swim in the swimming pool. It didn't like it very much :cry: .

regards, JAK
JAK-9810

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:48 am

Hi Jak,

Thanks for following up. The sync of your Blackberry with its desktop software doesn't actually process HanDBase's databases. You'll need to manually initiate its sync. Here's how you will want to do this:

1. Connect your Blackberry and your computer using a USB cable
2. Open HanDBase Desktop on your computer
3. Select Configure - Blackberry Users
4. Select the option to Synchronize

Follow the on screen prompts and the databases will sync.

Hope this helps!
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby JAK-9810 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Gidday Brian

Thanks for your reply.

I had sorted the problem.

The direct download of the OTA BB Client solved my initial problems with the BB Desktop Manager failing to recognise the HanDBase s/w for installation to the device

It related not to syncing per se, but to syncing date fields between the two. The USofA has a rather unrealistic idea that the whole rest of the world does everything the same way the USA does. It doesn't ... In Australia, the normal short date format is dd/mm/yy, not the USA normal format of mm/dd/yy. IMNSHO, we should all use yyyy/mm/dd, because at least that format collates properly, no matter what!

I am currently working on a document that sets out the constraints with non-USA format dates.
I can forward you a copy of that when it is finished, if it might be of help.

Otherwise, all is working well.

Is there a way of changing the default folder for saving databases on the PC?
I know of several, including editing the registry, but do not want to set myself up for problems that I just do not need ATM.

IMHO, too much space is allocated at the top of the screen for the Splash, Database name, View, and Search items.

I also echo the thoughts of another here regarding the programming of the BB BACK key as an ESCAPE WITHOUT SAVE function; requiring one to open the BB MENU and click DONE instead. Seems to me that good programming practice requires that one should never be able to lose changes to anything without prior warning, at least. That sort of default behaviour takes me back to the DOS and Apple computers in the very early 1980s ...

It would be a real shame if you were to stop producing s/w for the BB platform. It has taken me days of searching to find a DB program that works reasonably well with my BB. While my requirements are very simple, I am very reliant upon the information that I store on the BB in the DBs, and Outlook in particular.

Now I just need to find a decent calculator program.

For completeness, I am using a BB Torch 9810 OS7; BB DM v6.1.B38; and my main workstation is a Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM running Win XP Pro SP3 (and about 4 TB of internal HDDs).
JAK-9810

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry