HanDBase Android Update is getting closer - at long last!

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

HanDBase Android Update is getting closer - at long last!

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I know it has been a crazy long time since the last Android update for HanDBase. I've mentioned before in responses that HanDBase was written in Eclipse using really old versions of Android APIs. I tried to target and retain compatibility all the way back to Android 2.1 I believe and up to now that's been the case. But there are several issues on newer devices that I wanted to fix for, and couldn't without updating HanDBase.

This turned out to be an extremely long process - each API update brings with it mandatory changes to the structure of the project, the allowed functions, etc. And I also needed to switch to Android Studio and the gradle build process. I am happy to say that as of a few minutes ago, my todo list for all the things I knew I needed to update is done. So now I need to do some internal testing and fix any bugs I find before I can start a beta test group.

But I was excited about this progress and wanted to share with you all. I know this update is a long time coming and many of you may have given up, which makes total sense. But for those of you still hanging in there, hopefully this is good news. The update itself doesn't have much in the way of new features, its more of an update to get the app up to the modern internal wirings so that I can then better maintain compatibility with the latest versions of Android. And I'm hoping that this will help me to have an easier time in adding new features such as the long overdue external field type support. But that's getting ahead of myself- first getting this tested and stabilized and into your hands is my major goal right now.

Stay tuned for more info and a call for beta testers in the near future. And thanks as always for being a HanDBase customer!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Re: HanDBase Android Update is getting closer - at long last

Postby edwin2011 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:20 pm

That's really great news! As soon as the release comes out in a stable version I will send a donation.
*** edwin ***
Samsung S4 / Palm Treo
edwin2011

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:54 am

edwin2011 wrote:That's really great news! As soon as the release comes out in a stable version I will send a donation.

Thanks so much!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby cenzer » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:10 pm

All the honors, David

when all the bugs are out, you can expect a donation from me

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thank you.

Charles
cenzer

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:58 pm

cenzer wrote:All the honors, David

when all the bugs are out, you can expect a donation from me

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks Cenzer!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby BP-E-NL » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:49 am

Count me in for a donation to, looking forward to the new version!
BP-E-NL

Return to HanDBase for Android