Handbase password files crash on latest iPad OS

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Handbase password files crash on latest iPad OS

Postby jimtr » Tue May 18, 2021 11:44 am

Using Handbase 4.9.078, and since the upgrade to iPad OS 14.4.2, all HandBase files that use a password crash. I see the password box for a split second, then HandBase consistently crashes. This happen with all my files that have a password, but non-password files still run fine. All the password files ran fine as well before iPad was updated to 14.4.2. I am using an iPad Pro 3rd gen. Password files still work fine with Android.
jimtr

Re: Handbase password files crash on latest iPad OS

Postby curtterp » Thu May 20, 2021 10:03 pm

I am running iPadOS 14.5.1 and I am not seeing an issue with password-protected databases.

I have tested both password and FaceID to open a database. I have not set any other passwords.

I am wondering if you had tried to remove the password requirement to open to see if you can open the database without needing a password to make sure that its the password mechanism that is causing your issue. To do this, in the tray, press on the database name, then press on properties. Go to the security section, set access Permissions and set everything to full access. Once that is done, press on Back 3 times to get back to the file cabinet, and try to open the database.

Hopefully you will be able to open the database up
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby jimtr » Fri May 28, 2021 10:50 am

Thanks for the suggestion. When I set open to full access, they open fine. Some have encrypted fields, and I am asked for the decryption password as expected, Problem seems to definitely be the password option. I use Android as well so I was able to view the password protected files on Android. Hopefully the bug will be fixed soon as I want the extra password protection on some files.

Like you, I went Palm OS to Windows Mobile to iOS to Android. Some of my main database files I still use, and update daily were started in the Palm OS days. Of course, now they have many more records, and additional fields have been added as needed.

Thanks again.
jimtr

Postby curtterp » Fri May 28, 2021 2:25 pm

jimtr wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. When I set open to full access, they open fine. Some have encrypted fields, and I am asked for the decryption password as expected, Problem seems to definitely be the password option. I use Android as well so I was able to view the password protected files on Android. Hopefully the bug will be fixed soon as I want the extra password protection on some files.

Like you, I went Palm OS to Windows Mobile to iOS to Android. Some of my main database files I still use, and update daily were started in the Palm OS days. Of course, now they have many more records, and additional fields have been added as needed.

Thanks again.

Glad to hear that setting to full access allows you to open up the database.

I have done some more testing because I didn't know that you had encryption set too.

Further tests reveal that there is some crashing when encryption and passwords are set for a database.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby jimtr » Mon May 31, 2021 5:54 am

I do have 1 file that uses password only, no encryption. That file also causes HanDbase to crash in iPad OS. Before iPad OS 14.4,2, everything worked fine.
jimtr

Return to HanDBase for iPad