Importing CSV into HandBase for Education

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Importing CSV into HandBase for Education

Postby TonyMoss » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:42 am

A newcomer to HandBase, I've just purchased HandBase Education for my iPad. Experimenting to date with the product has been very encouraging, given its impressive level of functionality.

I've some experience of other DBMS and have a CSV file of data from one of these which I'd like to use in HandBase. However, I'm unable to find any method by which this data can be imported into your product. The CSV file is held on my iMac (running 64-bit Big Sur OS), but opening the Sync option in HandBase Education on the iPad simply tells me to connect to a Wi-Fi network. Both devices are connected to the same home network, and both have access to the internet.

For obvious reasons, I'm reluctant to have to re-create the 2,000-odd records manually in HandBase Education, so I'd be most grateful for any and all advice to enable this import, one way or another.

Thanking you in anticipation,

Tony Moss
TonyMoss

Re: Importing CSV into HandBase for Education

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:24 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for writing. There is an issue where the Wifi message comes up with the latest OS updates. It seems that for some users the following is turned off:

Under HanDBase Settings-> Privacy, open settings in App Allow HanDBase to Access -> Local Networks was Off. If you enable it wifi sync should start working again. Please let me know if it doesn’t.

That should let you get the Desktop Connect feature working. In that feature if you visit via a desktop browser, you'll see an option to import a CSV file you can use. Please give that a try!

Alternatively the HanDBase Desktop on Mac and Windows both support importing from a CSV file as well if you'd like to try them.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby TonyMoss » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:58 am

Thanks for you response, Dave.

I've checked within the Settings app on my iPad and can find no reference at all to HandBase within “Settings > Privacy > Local Networks”. There seems to be no way here to add HandBase to this section.

Neither can I find any mention of Local Networks access within "Settings > HandBase". I hope the attached screenshots help. (Though I don't seem to be able to add attachments!)

What am I doing wrong?

I'm using HandBase Education on my iPad running iPadOS 14.6

As for HandBase Desktop, my iMac is running macOS Big Sur - version 11.4. As this is 64-bit only, I gather from your web site that HandBase Desktop isn't compatible with this OS. In any event, unless I can enable Wi-Fi communication from the iPad, having HandBase running on the desktop would make no difference.
TonyMoss

Postby glenwf » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:53 pm

Try getting to that place from here.

in HanDBase, on the bottom of the screen:
Select the "gear" icon
Then select "HanDBase Settings..."
That takes you to your handheld "Settings" section you want.

Then select "Privacy"
Then I see that my Local Network is turned on and so are other options.

Not positive this will help, but I think this is where you were pointed to.
glenwf

Postby TonyMoss » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:50 am

Thanks for this information.

In fact, this was the sequence I took to get to the Privacy settings on the iPad. There is no mention anywhere that I can find within these settings of the HandBase app.

I’ve attached three screenshots of the iPad Privacy settings to my email reply. I have tried to attach them to my post here in your Forums, but there is no indication there that these images have been uploaded.

I hope that they help with your investigation into this issue, and lead to a successful solution.

Regards,

Tony
TonyMoss

Postby curtterp » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:06 am

The setting on my iPhone is located at Settings->HanDBase.

I had to scroll down a while since I have a lot of apps on my phone.

I also found the setting under Settings->Privacy->Local Network

I am running iOS 14.6
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Return to HanDBase for iPad