ios 14.5 not syncing - connect to wifi

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: ios 14.5 not syncing - connect to wifi

Postby rhussong » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:22 pm

I am having the same problem of getting "Error: To use this Feature you must connect to a WiFi network" when trying to sync my phone to my desktop. Since I last sync'd I replaced my iphone 7 with the iphone 12. This happens on both my work and home networks. I have forgotten then resigned in to each network. I have restarted my phone. Nothing has fixed it. Any ideas?
Rick
rhussong

Postby glenwf » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:31 pm

Did you go into the desktop version and delete the account for your new iPhone. Then reboot and add it again, maybe with a different identification? Procedures are detailed earlier in this discussion or elswhere.
glenwf

Postby curtterp » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:50 am

glenwf wrote:Did you go into the desktop version and delete the account for your new iPhone. Then reboot and add it again, maybe with a different identification? Procedures are detailed earlier in this discussion or elswhere.

The desktop has nothing to do with the error. That error is within the iPhone when HanDBase on the iPhone doesn't see a WiFi connection.

The error can be recreated by turning off WiFi on the iPhone, then launch HanDBase, and then press on the arrows to initiate the desktop connection.

I cannot recreate the error with my WiFi on.

You can check to see if the iPhone is connected to the WiFi network by going into Settings->WiFi-> then click on the blue 'i' with a circle around it on the same line as your WiFi network name. Scroll down until you see the IPV4 Address section. This will show the IP Adress, subnet mask, and the router IP Address.

The second way to check to make sure that the WiFi is working correctly is to turn on Airplane mode, then turn on WiFi if it is not turned on. Then go to a browser and see if you can surf the internet. If you cannot surf the internet, then there is a WiFi or network problem. Most of the time, this problem can be resolved by shutting down the iPhone with the shutdown command in Settings->General->Shutdown. If you still cannot get on the web through WiFi, then talking to Apple about a possible hardware problem would be the next step.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:23 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry for my silence on this post till now. I have been responding to those who email support with this question and trying to track down the problem. There is definitely an issue that seems to have started with 14.5 and higher (unfortunately 14.6 didn't have this issue) but strangely its not effecting everyone. Sadly that includes my iPhone which makes debugging the problem difficult.

In HanDBase I call an OS function to find out if the current internet connection is over wifi or not and it appears that this is returning the wrong answer on some devices. I'm trying to figure out what the pattern is and have searched the Apple dev forums for others having this issue and came up empty.

Going to work on this over the next week to try to find an alternate way to verify Wifi connectivity. If I come up with a beta version, I'll post here and those interested can give it a try. I'll keep you posted!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby s_wood » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:04 pm

I am having the same problem as others, after years of problem-free syncing over my home WiFi network. My iPhone syncs to my Windows desktop with any problems, but my iPad has stopped working. I have tried all of the problem-solving steps mentioned in this thread but no matter what I do I get an error message that reads “To use this feature you must connect to a WiFi network.” Needless to say, I am connected to WiFi and all other apps on my iPad have connectivity.

Any help with this issue will be appreciated.
s_wood

Postby s_wood » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:56 am

I have tried turning mi iPhone on and off, as well as closing and reopening the app. Nothing works. The device is an iPad Air 3Rd Gen. I posted here because this thread exactly described my problem. My iPhone still syncs perfectly. Both devices are using iOS 14.5.1. Thanks’
s_wood

Postby dreslism1 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:00 pm

Any update on this?
dreslism1

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:21 pm

dreslism1 wrote:Any update on this?

Actually yes! A user just told me he noticed a privacy setting that has been added. In particular:

Under HanDBase Settings-> Privacy, open settings in App Allow HanDBase to Access -> Local Networks was Off. If you enable it wifi sync should start working again. Please let me know if it does or doesn’t help!

In the meantime I’m going to be working on an update that will check for this and prompt if necessary. Sorry for the inconvenience!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby curtterp » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:56 am

That is interesting to see that setting.

I tested on my iPhone and yes, turning the local network off in the setting shuts off the network to HanDBase and makes it act like there is no network.

Putting that into the memory banks for future reference.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby dreslism1 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:29 pm

I don’t have that setting.

“Allow HanDBase to access” does not have a “local network” setting.

I only have “face id”, “Siri and search”, “cellular data”.

Where is this setting at?
dreslism1

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch