Alternatives to these forums

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Alternatives to these forums

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:41 pm

Hey everyone,

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the idea of moving these forums off the DDH site and somewhere that may be easier to maintain. I guess the PHPBB2 forums are so targeted now by bots that I basically have to sift through hundreds of bot attempts to create accounts and post spam on these forums each week. This makes it really hard to keep this forum up to date with user posts and questions and I feel I'm not doing a good job with this for the last year or so.

I haven't really seen others do this, but I was thinking about having a HanDBase subreddit on reddit.com and pointing people there. Has anyone modded a subreddit before and does it require a lot of similar moderation?

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Alternatives to these forums

Postby GJHmf » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:05 pm

Reddit seems a natural alternative, as long as there are ways to segregate platform related chats.

Discord too seems to be a popular environment to move too, although I personally dislike the continual thread nature of chat rooms. Unless someone tags you in a reply, you can lose your thread amongst the noise.

I however cannot offer any insight into moderating either option, sorry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
GJHmf
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 5:49 am

Re: Alternatives to these forums

Postby edwin2011 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:21 pm

Keep it here. First thing first and try to focus the available time on urgent matters. Forum movement is that not in my opinion.
*** edwin ***
Samsung S4 / Palm Treo
edwin2011
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:30 am

Re: Alternatives to these forums

Postby GJHmf » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:32 am

Would you consider drafting in extra moderators to lighten your load?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GJHmf
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 5:49 am

Re: Alternatives to these forums

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:53 am

edwin2011 wrote:Keep it here. First thing first and try to focus the available time on urgent matters. Forum movement is that not in my opinion.


Thanks for your input. Actually, the movement of the forum is to be able to better focus my time on development as it is right now eating up most of my available time. Moving to Reddit would take all of 30 minutes to create a subreddit and add some links to the site to redirect users. I'm not talking about migrating all of the old legacy posts.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Alternatives to these forums

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:54 am

GJHmf wrote:Would you consider drafting in extra moderators to lighten your load?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Yes, that was my hope - some of the more active members here could also help moderate.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Alternatives to these forums

Postby curtterp » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:00 am

ddhsoftwareadmin wrote:
GJHmf wrote:Would you consider drafting in extra moderators to lighten your load?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Yes, that was my hope - some of the more active members here could also help moderate.


I am willing to volunteer to help out with the forum.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 6:41 pm
Location: Northern IL

Re: Alternatives to these forums

Postby MidCoast Jim » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:52 am

Hi All -
I've just logged into the Forum after MANY months away. After years on DOS and Windows I am making the transition to MacOS. One of my first questions is how do I run a desktop version of my beloved HanDBase? I've had HDB on strings of iPhones and iPads happily syncing with the Windows Desktop.

I have never done Reddit so hope that if/when the DDH Forum makes the jump that someone will hold my hand while I make the leap.

Dave, would a Patreon account make any sense? I'm not sure how many users/fans you and HDB have, but it sounds like there are more than a few of us out here that depend on HDB. I must access the software a dozen times every day. I created a new database just last week.

BTW - belated Happy Birthday!
Jim Child, Midcoast Maine
jimtheshepherd@yahoo.com
— ...old dog still learning new tricks
MidCoast Jim
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Alternatives to these forums

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:59 pm

curtterp wrote:
ddhsoftwareadmin wrote:
GJHmf wrote:Would you consider drafting in extra moderators to lighten your load?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Yes, that was my hope - some of the more active members here could also help moderate.


I am willing to volunteer to help out with the forum.


Thanks Curt, you have always and continue to be such a huge help to those on this forum. I appreciate you so much!

Do you have any thoughts on the idea of moving to Reddit?
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Alternatives to these forums

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:02 pm

MidCoast Jim wrote:Hi All -
I've just logged into the Forum after MANY months away. After years on DOS and Windows I am making the transition to MacOS. One of my first questions is how do I run a desktop version of my beloved HanDBase? I've had HDB on strings of iPhones and iPads happily syncing with the Windows Desktop.

I have never done Reddit so hope that if/when the DDH Forum makes the jump that someone will hold my hand while I make the leap.

Dave, would a Patreon account make any sense? I'm not sure how many users/fans you and HDB have, but it sounds like there are more than a few of us out here that depend on HDB. I must access the software a dozen times every day. I created a new database just last week.

BTW - belated Happy Birthday!
Jim Child, Midcoast Maine
jimtheshepherd@yahoo.com


Wow, Jim, so nice to see you here once again! Send me an email directly if you can regarding the Mac desktop issue, and I'll be happy to help.

Regarding a Patreon, I once set up a patreon for this, but felt bad asking people to support since you already paid for the app you have and it seems selfish to ask for additional money every month. I get why some developers do this - having a steady income that they can count on is a great thing, but in this case, you've already paid for your apps and it seems unfair to ask for more from my best customers!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:13 pm

Next

Return to HanDBase General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron